• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Wave Motion

• Thread starter Sheneron
  • Start date
[SOLVED] Wave Motion

1. Homework Statement
A transverse wave on a string is described by the following wave function.

y = (0.115 m) sin [(x/10 + 3t)]

(a) Determine the transverse speed and acceleration at t = 0.240 s for the point on the string located at x = 1.70 m.
(b) What are the wavelength, period, and speed of propagation of this wave?
3. The Attempt at a Solution
I have solved the whole problem up to part B) where it says what is the speed of propagation of this wave?
I am not sure what is looking for me to find. I looked up wave propagation and it said, any of the ways in which a wave travels through a medium. I still can't figure out what I am trying to find, so if someone could explain what exactly it is looking for and how to go about it I would be grateful. Thanks

Answers and Replies

nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
1. Homework Statement
A transverse wave on a string is described by the following wave function.

y = (0.115 m) sin [(x/10 + 3t)]

(a) Determine the transverse speed and acceleration at t = 0.240 s for the point on the string located at x = 1.70 m.
(b) What are the wavelength, period, and speed of propagation of this wave?
3. The Attempt at a Solution
I have solved the whole problem up to part B) where it says what is the speed of propagation of this wave?
I am not sure what is looking for me to find. I looked up wave propagation and it said, any of the ways in which a wave travels through a medium. I still can't figure out what I am trying to find, so if someone could explain what exactly it is looking for and how to go about it I would be grateful. Thanks

The speed of a wave is simply [tex] v = \lambda f [/tex] or, equivalently, [tex] v = \omega/k [/tex]

I got it, thanks.