What is the speed of propagation for a transverse wave on a string?

In summary: The speed of propagation of a wave is the speed at which the wave travels through a medium. In this case, the medium is the string. The wave travels at a constant speed until it reaches the end of the string, at which point the speed of the wave is zero.
Sheneron
[SOLVED] Wave Motion

Homework Statement

A transverse wave on a string is described by the following wave function.

y = (0.115 m) sin [(x/10 + 3t)]

(a) Determine the transverse speed and acceleration at t = 0.240 s for the point on the string located at x = 1.70 m.
(b) What are the wavelength, period, and speed of propagation of this wave?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved the whole problem up to part B) where it says what is the speed of propagation of this wave?
I am not sure what is looking for me to find. I looked up wave propagation and it said, any of the ways in which a wave travels through a medium. I still can't figure out what I am trying to find, so if someone could explain what exactly it is looking for and how to go about it I would be grateful. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Sheneron said:

Homework Statement

A transverse wave on a string is described by the following wave function.

y = (0.115 m) sin [(x/10 + 3t)]

(a) Determine the transverse speed and acceleration at t = 0.240 s for the point on the string located at x = 1.70 m.
(b) What are the wavelength, period, and speed of propagation of this wave?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved the whole problem up to part B) where it says what is the speed of propagation of this wave?
I am not sure what is looking for me to find. I looked up wave propagation and it said, any of the ways in which a wave travels through a medium. I still can't figure out what I am trying to find, so if someone could explain what exactly it is looking for and how to go about it I would be grateful. Thanks

The speed of a wave is simply [tex] v = \lambda f [/tex] or, equivalently, [tex] v = \omega/k [/tex]

I got it, thanks.

1. What is wave motion?

Wave motion is a type of mechanical motion that involves the transfer of energy through a medium without the transfer of matter. It is characterized by the propagation of disturbances or vibrations through the medium.

2. What are the different types of waves?

There are two main types of waves: transverse and longitudinal. Transverse waves have vibrations perpendicular to the direction of propagation, while longitudinal waves have vibrations parallel to the direction of propagation.

3. How is the speed of a wave determined?

The speed of a wave is determined by the frequency (number of waves per second) and the wavelength (distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs) of the wave. It can be calculated using the equation v = fλ, where v is the speed, f is the frequency, and λ is the wavelength.

4. What factors affect the properties of waves?

The properties of waves are affected by several factors, including the medium through which the wave is traveling, the frequency and wavelength of the wave, and the amplitude (height) of the wave. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and density can also affect the properties of waves.

5. How are waves used in everyday life?

Waves have many practical applications in our daily lives. Some examples include radio waves for communication, sound waves for hearing, and light waves for vision. Waves are also used in technologies such as sonar, radar, and medical imaging.