Wave on a string meeting a boundary between areas of different densities

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
99wattr89
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
This is the problem I'm working on: http://i.imgur.com/PBMFG.png

I'm very behind with normal modes and waves, and I need to figure out how to do this sort of question in time for my exams, so I'm hoping that you guys will be able to help me see how this can be answered.

I've answered the first part, deriving he wave equation, but for the second part I'm feeling very lost. Can someone give me a hint or nudge in the right direction for how to get started with it?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I certainly don't know how to answer that, but seeing those second O.D.E's makes me think you might have better luck not posting this in introductory physics.
 
NewtonianAlch said:
I certainly don't know how to answer that, but seeing those second O.D.E's makes me think you might have better luck not posting this in introductory physics.

Oh, I see! Thanks for the advice, I'll try advanced physics.