How can I find the wave equation u(x,t) of a string

In summary, the wave equation for a vibrating string with linear density d, tension p, initial velocity zero, length L, and initial displacement U0(x) = a1*sin(2*pi*x/L)+a2*sin(4*pi*x/L) is given by U(x,t) = a1*cos(2*pi*x*a*t/L)*sin(2*pi*x/L)+a2*cos(4*pi*x*a*t/L)*sin(4*pi*x/L), where a1 and a2 are given unknowns.
Mutatis
Find the wave equation U(x,t) of a vibrating string with linear density d, tension p, initial velocity zero, weight L and initial displacement

U0(x) = a1*sin(2*pi*x/L)+a2*sin(4*pi*x/L).

Guys, please help me with this task. I did the following procedure:

The U(x,t) solution must me a sum of sine and cosine functions, like

ΣBn*cos(n*pi*a*t/L)*sin(n*pi*x/L).

Then Bn is found with Bn=∫U0(x)*sin(n*pi*x/L)dx. I'm a little lost with all these substitiution that leads me to big integrals with no solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just apply the given boundary conditions to your general expression.

I did, but the answer is a sum of sine and cosine times Bn term which is still in terms of a1 and a2. I'm very confused. I did the calculus throught Maple.

Mutatis said:
I did, but the answer is a sum of sine and cosine times Bn term which is still in terms of a1 and a2. I'm very confused. I did the calculus throught Maple.
Please post your working. If I cannot see it then I cannot know what you have wrong or exactly where you are stuck.
Apart from one differentiation, you should not need any calculus.

Ok, that was how I did. The ##U(x,t)## solution must me a sum of sine and cosine functions, then $$ U\left(u,t\right) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty B_n \cos\left( \frac {n \pi a t} {L} \right) \sin\left( \frac {n \pi a t} {L} \right)$$ and ##B_n## can be found using $$ B_n = \frac 2 L \int_0^L f(x)\sin\left( \frac {n \pi a t}{L} \right)\, dx$$.
To get ##B_n## I applied ##f(x)## on the second equation above: $$B_n = \frac 2 L \{ a_1 \int_0^L \sin\left( \frac {2 x \pi }{L} \right) \sin\left( \frac {n x \pi }{L} \right) \, dx + a_2 \int_0^L \sin\left( \frac {4 x \pi }{L} \right) \sin\left( \frac {n x \pi }{L} \right) \, dx \}$$. These two integrals I used Maple to get the result, and it returned me: $$B_n = \frac {a_1} {\pi} \left[ \frac {\sin \left( n \pi - 2 \pi \right)} {\left( n - 2 \right)} - \frac {\sin \left( n \pi - 2 \pi \right)} {\left( n + 2 \right)} \right] + \frac {a_1} {\pi} \left[ \frac {\sin \left( n \pi - 4 \pi \right)} {\left( n - 4 \right)} - \frac {\sin \left( n \pi + 4 \pi \right)} {\left( n + 4 \right)} \right] $$. That was I found. Should I apply the ##B_n## on the ##U(x,t)## equation now?

Last edited:
Mutatis said:
and Bn can be found using
Sure, but that's a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
You have at t=0 ##a_1\sin(2\pi x/L)+a_2\sin(4\pi x/L)=\Sigma B_n\sin(n\pi x/L)##.
Can you not write down the values of the Bn by inspection?

I've tried it. But that's what is getting me confuse. ##B_n = a_1, a_2## then? Thank you the help. It's the first exercise that I'm really stuck about vibrating waves.

The wave equation is $$ U(x,t) = a_1 \cos \left( \frac {2 \pi x a t} {L} \right) \sin \left( \frac {2 \pi x} {L} \right) + a_2 \cos \left( \frac {4 \pi x a t} {L} \right) \sin \left( \frac {4 \pi x} {L} \right) $$ with ##n = 2,4##. Do you have some tip to find ##a_1## and ##a_2##?

Mutatis said:
I've tried it. But that's what is getting me confuse. ##B_n = a_1, a_2## then?.
Well, B2=a1, B4=a2, and the rest are zero.
Mutatis said:
Do you have some tip to find a1 and a2
Those are given unknowns. You are not expected to find values for them. You have the answer already.

Thank you!

1) How do I determine the wave equation u(x,t) of a string?

The wave equation u(x,t) of a string can be determined by using the partial differential equation: ∂²u/∂t² = c²∂²u/∂x², where c is the speed of the wave and u(x,t) represents the displacement of the string at a given position x and time t.

2) What are the key factors that affect the wave equation of a string?

The key factors that affect the wave equation of a string include the tension in the string, its linear mass density, and the speed of the wave. These factors can be adjusted to alter the behavior of the wave on the string.

3) Is there a specific formula for calculating the wave equation of a string?

Yes, the general formula for the wave equation of a string is u(x,t) = f(x-ct) + g(x+ct), where f and g are functions that represent the initial displacement and velocity of the string, respectively.

4) How can I use the wave equation of a string to solve real-world problems?

The wave equation of a string can be applied to various real-world problems, such as analyzing the vibrations of musical instruments or predicting the behavior of seismic waves. It can also be used to study the motion of strings in various engineering applications.

5) Are there any limitations to the wave equation of a string?

While the wave equation of a string is a useful tool for understanding the behavior of waves on a string, it does have some limitations. For example, it assumes that the string is perfectly straight and that there are no external forces acting on it. In reality, these assumptions may not always hold true, and the wave equation may need to be modified to account for these factors.