Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave packet description of electrons in solid state physics

1. May 21, 2015 #1
    In solid state physics, I learned that the velocity of a bloch electron is ##\frac{\partial E(k)}{\partial k}##, where ##E(k)## is the energy dispersion. This formula is derived on the basis of the assumption that electrons is a wave packet of bloch state in solids.

However, I have a question concerning this statement:

I learned solid state physics three years ago and I am now a Ph.D. student. However, I still cannot convince me of the original statement because I know a wave packet BREAKS DOWN with time evolution. I can't imagine this formula can describe long time evolution of electron states.

Can anyone give me some confidence of this formula?

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2015 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

This is the velocity for a very broad wavepacket (in real space), i.e. a very localized state in k-space. (If not, for which k-state would you have to take the derivative?) But an infinitely broad wavepacket can't disperse any further.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook