Do wave-packets of Blochwaves spread over time?

In summary: Hi,to describe electronic transport and for example bloch oscillations, one uses a wave-packet build of bloch waves (with a band index n and an effective mass m*).Do these wave-packets of blochwaves also spread (disperse) over time?No, they don't.
Abigale
Hi,
to describe electronic transport and for example bloch oscillations, one uses a wave-packet build of bloch waves (with a band index n and an effective mass m*).

Do these wave-packets of blochwaves also spread (disperse) over time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Abigale said:
Hi,
to describe electronic transport and for example bloch oscillations, one uses a wave-packet build of bloch waves (with a band index n and an effective mass m*).

Could you please give a reference? My limited experience so far has been different. I always assumed each individual electron was in an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian operator at all times, and as such its wavefunction was never a superposition of eigenstates (or a wave-packet). I have never seen a wavepacket made of Bloch oscillations so far, but I'd really be interested in knowning the answer to your question, so please give some reference that I can look up.

Hi sure,

in Ashcroft Mermin "Solid State Physics".
Chapter 12 "Description of the Semiclassical Model" deals with the description of electrons by wave packets of Bloch Electrons.

Would be nice if you could explain me if it also spreads...

Abigale said:
Hi sure,

in Ashcroft Mermin "Solid State Physics".
Chapter 12 "Description of the Semiclassical Model" deals with the description of electrons by wave packets of Bloch Electrons.

Would be nice if you could explain me if it also spreads...
Thanks, at a first quick glance my guess is that the case is no different than the case of a free particle. I.e. there should be a spread of the wavefunction with time.
Nevertheless, it seems possible to use some tricks to prevent the spreading of the wavefunction (described there: http://www.itp.ac.cn/~suncp/papers/PR/PRA06-3.pdf) by using a magnetic field and considering a zero momentum Gaussian wave packet.

Abigale said:
Hi,

It doesn't.

First of all, think of what happens if it does. It means that your conductor will be behaving differently 2 seconds later when you measure its properties, because the charge carriers have "disperses" over time.

The Bloch wave functions are analogous to standing waves. It is the wavefunction for the entire solid, because you are imposing a repeated/periodic boundary condition over the entire space. It is also why there are gaps in the band, because the states representing those wavefunction cannot be sustained by the boundary conditions.

Zz.

Free electrons are a special case of Bloch electrons. Hence, in general, Bloch wave packets do disperse.

ZapperZ said:
The Bloch wave functions are analogous to standing waves. It is the wavefunction for the entire solid, because you are imposing a repeated/periodic boundary condition over the entire space.
I am not the OP, but I'd like to make sure I am understanding your sentence correctly. A single Bloch wavefunction represents the wavefunction of a single electron, right? By entire solid you mean that this wavefunction extends over the whole solid, not that it represents the wavefunction of all the electrons in that solid, right?

1. What are Bloch waves?

Bloch waves are a type of wave that describes the behavior of particles, such as electrons, in a periodic potential. They are characterized by a wave vector and an energy band, and are commonly used to describe the movement of particles in solid materials.

2. What is a wave-packet of Bloch waves?

A wave-packet of Bloch waves is a localized disturbance in the wave function of a Bloch wave. It is a superposition of multiple Bloch waves with slightly different wave vectors and energies, and represents the probability of finding a particle in a specific region of space.

3. How do wave-packets of Bloch waves spread over time?

Wave-packets of Bloch waves spread over time due to the phenomenon of dispersion. This is caused by the different wave vectors and energies present in the wave-packet, which leads to the different components of the wave-packet traveling at different speeds. As a result, the wave-packet becomes more spread out over time.

4. What factors affect the spreading of wave-packets of Bloch waves?

The spreading of wave-packets of Bloch waves is affected by several factors, including the strength of the periodic potential, the energy band structure, and the initial size and shape of the wave-packet. Additionally, external forces, such as electric or magnetic fields, can also impact the spreading of the wave-packet.

5. Can the spreading of wave-packets of Bloch waves be controlled?

Yes, the spreading of wave-packets of Bloch waves can be controlled through various means. For example, by adjusting the strength of the periodic potential or applying external forces, the dispersion of the wave-packet can be altered. Additionally, using techniques such as wave-packet engineering, the initial size and shape of the wave-packet can be manipulated to control its spreading over time.