Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave speed

1. Sep 26, 2007 #1
    say for example there is a pulse through a string .then what exactly is wave speed or for that matter in case of unidirectional wave motion
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

Could you rephrase the question....I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you asking what determines the speed of a wave? If so, the answer is the tension and elastic modulus of the string.
  4. Sep 27, 2007 #3
    how do u define wave speed
  5. Sep 27, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What's wrong with [itex]v=f\lambda[/itex]?

6. Sep 27, 2007 #5
    i want to have the definition well the espression is well one perhaps a physical interpretation will do
  7. Sep 27, 2007 #6
    Well, you get a wave, and look at how fast the peaks and troughs are moving.
  8. Sep 27, 2007 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Could you say that again and maybe, this time, include a few punctuations?

9. Sep 27, 2007 #8
    Sorry i didn't realize that how difficult is it to read that line without punctuation.
    Could u please define Wave speed in general mathematically
  10. Sep 27, 2007 #9

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is no general definition for the speed of a "wave" if you by "wave" also mean pulses etc.

*The velocity at which a plane wave would propagate through a medium [tex]c[/tex] this is a constant which depends on properties of the medium (e.g. the speed of light or the speed of sound)

*Phase velocity, [tex]v_p=\omega/\beta[/tex], is the speed at which a constant phase point (i.e. a maximum) travels. [tex]\beta[/tex] is the propagation constant.

*Group velocity [tex]v_g=(d\beta/dt)^{-1}[/tex], is the speed at which a signal (such as a pulse) propagates thorugh a medium. This is only a meaninfull concept for signals with a narrow bandwidth or in media with low dispersion.

Note that you can have [tex] v_p>c[/tex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?