Waveequation for relativistic particle

In summary, to find the wave equation for a relativistic particle from E and p in terms of their operator-equations, you can substitute the operator-equations into the equation E^2 = p^2c^2 + (m_0c^2)^2. This will lead to the Klein-Gordon equation. However, note that this is not the relativistic wave equation used in QFT as it does not incorporate spin.
salaric
How do I find the wave equation for a relativistic particle from E and p in terms of their operator-equations, [tex]E \leftrightarrow[/tex] [tex] i \hbar[/tex] [tex]\frac{d}{dt}[/tex] and [tex]p \leftrightarrow[/tex] [tex]- i \hbar[/tex] [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex] ?

I'm assuming I'll have to use: [tex]E^{2}=p^{2}c^{2}+\left(m_{0}c^{2}\right)^{2}[/tex]
and substitude the operator-equations into that, but where to go from there? I'm lost.

Thanks heaps

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens when you do that substitution? Because that's all that there is to it...

haha, yes i realized that, I was trying to get the wave function instead of the wave equation, and that's why it was a bit hard to do like that in my head.

Thanks though :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klein-Gordon_equation

This is basically what you're trying to get at, right? Note that this isn't the relativistic wave equation used in QFT - that's the dirac equation - since this equation doesn't incorporate spin.

1. What is the wave equation for a relativistic particle?

The wave equation for a relativistic particle is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a particle moving at high speeds, close to the speed of light. It takes into account both the particle's mass and its energy, and is a key component of Einstein's theory of relativity.

2. How is the wave equation derived?

The wave equation for a relativistic particle is derived from the principles of special relativity, specifically the Lorentz transformation equations. These equations describe how measurements of time and space change for an observer moving at a constant velocity relative to another observer.

3. What is the significance of the wave equation for a relativistic particle?

The wave equation is significant because it allows us to accurately describe the behavior of particles moving at high speeds, which is essential for understanding phenomena such as particle accelerators and cosmic rays. It also plays a crucial role in the development of modern physics, including the theories of relativity and quantum mechanics.

4. Can the wave equation be simplified for particles with no mass?

Yes, the wave equation can be simplified for particles with no mass, or particles moving at the speed of light. In this case, the equation reduces to the famous wave equation discovered by James Clerk Maxwell, which describes the behavior of electromagnetic waves.

5. How does the wave equation for a relativistic particle differ from the classical wave equation?

The classical wave equation only takes into account the motion of particles with non-relativistic speeds, while the wave equation for a relativistic particle includes the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction. It also incorporates the concept of a particle's rest mass, which is not present in the classical wave equation.