Wavefunction: Particle in a 1-dimensional potential Well

Integrals_of_trigonometric_functions_with_a_quadratic_argumentIn summary, the conversation discusses finding the wave function for a particle in a one-dimensional potential well of length L, with a given value of n and mass m. The conversation also mentions normalizing the function and calculating probability for the first half of the box. Resources for computing the integral of a sine-squared term are provided.
samdiah

Homework Statement

Find the wave function of particle in a 1-dimensional potential Well of length L, n=2 and mass m

Homework Equations

I think this would be the wave equation, but not 100% sure
[tex]\varphi=Asin(n\pix/L)[\tex] where n=1,2,3...

tex doesn't work for me---=Asin[n*pi/L]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to normalize the function using what the book says and came up with

integral of (sin2[n*pi/L]dx[

Is this right? Now I need to find probablity with this...how would I do this? Can someone please tell me if I am on the right footsteps?

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean with "I need to find probability with this" ?

Probability for what? You have not specified that yet.

Try this with tex:

[tex]\varphi (x) = A\ sin(n\pi x/L) [/tex]

You may insert n=2 already at this stage.

Then you are on the right track;
[tex] |A|^2 \int _0^L\varphi ^*(x)\varphi (x) = 1 [/tex]
(If you have an INFINITE deep potential well)

So work this integral out, then specify what your probability question is.

Thanks. Ok for the probablity we have this mass m in length of box L with state n=2. we r suppose to calculate probablity for 1st half of the box. I know i have to take integral of half the box from 0 to l/2 but not sure how.

1. What is a wavefunction?

A wavefunction is a mathematical function that describes the quantum state of a particle in a given system. It contains information about the particle's position, momentum, and other physical properties.

2. What is a 1-dimensional potential well?

A 1-dimensional potential well is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to represent a particle confined to a one-dimensional space, such as a particle trapped in a small box or a particle moving along a one-dimensional path.

3. How is the wavefunction of a particle in a 1-dimensional potential well calculated?

The wavefunction of a particle in a 1-dimensional potential well can be calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time-evolution of a particle's wavefunction.

4. What is the significance of the wavefunction in quantum mechanics?

The wavefunction is a crucial concept in quantum mechanics because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of particles on a quantum level. It provides information about the probability of a particle being in a certain state and allows us to make predictions about its future behavior.

5. How does the energy of a particle in a 1-dimensional potential well relate to its wavefunction?

The energy of a particle in a 1-dimensional potential well is directly related to its wavefunction. The wavefunction contains information about the particle's energy levels and the probability of the particle being in a certain energy state. As the energy of the particle changes, so does its wavefunction.