Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waveguide standing wave pattern

1. Nov 20, 2012 #1
    Hi everybody, that's my question, I have been measuring the standing wave pattern within a waveguide (X band) using a slotted line, I put a short circuit termination and the theory said that we expect a rectified sine, but I don't get that, my result is in the picture

thump_8136214swrpat.jpg

I can't explain my results and I have tried with two different microwave sources (10.5 GHz).

I appreciate your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2012 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That looks more like the phase variation along a line than the amplitude variation. Is that possible?

4. Nov 21, 2012 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How does that pattern change when you change the load on the end (good match / fair match / short circuit) ?

5. Nov 21, 2012 #4
    I have measured the standing wave pattern in the air using the same source and the results looks better, of course that's not a short circuit but the wave is not inclined.

thump_8136530swrair.jpg

I've been thinking if it is about the propagation mode.

6. Nov 21, 2012 #5
    The picture is a short circuit, and when the load is changed, the swr and the phase changes, but the wave is still inclined.

thump_8136540swrarb.jpg

That's an arbitrary load pattern.

7. Nov 21, 2012 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need someone with more experience with waveguide, I think. My actual work was all on UHF and coax feeder.
    If I were chasing stange things like that, I think I'd put a 3dB attenuator (resistive) in the source to improve that match and put a good terminating load at the end. If I couldn't get a flattish line then, I would be scratching my head. I could suggest that harmonics in the signal source could be setting up another standing wave which adds to the one you want? (Not relevant if you are using a 'proper' receiver but could be, if you are just using a simple detector.) Solution: filter the output of the signal source.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook