1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wavelengths along a Smith Chart

1. Jan 27, 2012 #1
    Hello,

This may be something that is more mathematical than electrical, but I figured here was the best place.

I am going through a worked example, and there is something I don't understand. The question is as follows

Find the imput impedance and return loss (in dB) of the loaded line in the last question as seen at the distance l = 5λ/8 from the load

The solution states that "because the input impedance is a periodic function of the line lenth, we need to decuct all multiples of λ/2 and analyse only the remainder (λ/8)..."

Now, I understand that λ/2 is a full rotation of the Smith chart, but why is that deducted? And, if you remove λ\2, how are you left with λ\8 ...from an origianl length of 5λ/8?

The last part may just be some mathematics that is escaping me at the moment, but I just cannot get past this part.

Thanks for any advice.

-S

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2012 #2
    5/8 - 4/8 = 1/8.

You deduct it so you don't spin around the chart 4 times for nothing.

4. Jan 28, 2012 #3
    Hello.

Ok, that makes sense ...but, where is the 4 coming from? I mean, why not 6 times?

-S

5. Jan 30, 2012 #4
    1/2 Lambda = 4/8 Lambda.

6. Jan 31, 2012 #5
    Ahh, okay ...I am with you now!

That's fantastic. Thanks for your help.

-S

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook