Wavenumber Units: Standard or Free-for-All?

In summary, when displaying units for wavenumber, there is no agreed upon way of distinguishing between the two definitions of 1/λ and 2π/λ. It is a bit of a free for all and can often be determined by context. Using units such as (cpm) for cycles per meter is a good habit, but it ultimately depends on the field in which one is working. In physics, the angular wave number (2π/λ) is more commonly used.
JesseC
Hi there, quick question about units.

I know wavenumber can be defined as 1/λ or 2π/λ, the latter sometimes being termed 'angular' wavenumber. Is there an agreed upon way of distinguishing between these two definitions when displaying units on, for example, a graph or paper?

I've seen units such as (m-1) which is ambiguous or (cpm) which I presume to mean cycles per metre and thus refer to angular version, but also (rad m-1).

Is there a standard that should be followed? Or is it a free for all?

Cheers,
Jesse

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a bit of a free for all. You can often tell by context, but sometimes it's quite confusing.

E.g., if waves are referred to as ##\cos kx,## then ##k = 2\pi / \lambda## (radians/m).

Using cpm (analogous to Hz = cps) whenever you mean cycles, not radians, is a good habit.

If you are working with both wave number and frequency, you definitely want to stick to the same convention for both.

Last edited:
I think which one you like to use is probably dependent on the field you are working in. In physics, because we almost always express waves like ##\cos(kx)## or ##e^{ikx}##, we almost always use angular wave number, and ##1/\lambda## is very very rarely used.

Related to Wavenumber Units: Standard or Free-for-All?

1. What are wavenumber units?

Wavenumber units are a way of measuring the frequency of light or other electromagnetic radiation. They are typically used in spectroscopy to describe the energy levels of molecules and atoms.

2. What are the standard wavenumber units?

The standard wavenumber unit is inverse centimeter (cm-1). This unit is commonly used in scientific literature and is based on the distance between two peaks or troughs of a wave.

3. Are there other wavenumber units besides the standard unit?

Yes, there are other wavenumber units that are used in different fields of science. Some examples include reciprocal meters (m-1), reciprocal nanometers (nm-1), and reciprocal millimeters (mm-1).

4. How do I convert between different wavenumber units?

To convert between wavenumber units, you can use a conversion factor. This can be found by dividing the value of one unit by the value of another unit. For example, to convert from cm-1 to m-1, you would divide the value in cm-1 by 100.

5. Is there a preferred wavenumber unit to use?

The choice of wavenumber unit is often determined by the field of study or personal preference. However, the standard unit of inverse centimeter (cm-1) is widely used in scientific literature and is generally recommended for consistency and ease of comparison between studies.