Waves & Sound: Combine Pressure & Density to Produce Dimensions of Speed

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between pressure and density in air and how they can be combined to produce dimensions of speed. The equation for the speed of sound is used to estimate the speed of sound at sea level, and the answer is deemed reasonable. The conversation also touches on the analogy between sound waves and waves propagating in a string.
sammmy

Homework Statement

Two important quantities associated with air are the pressure and density. How can the pressure and density be combined to produce dimensions of speed? Look up the pressure and density of air at sea level and use your equation to estimate the speed of sound. Is your answer reasonable?

Homework Equations

pressure (P)= force/area
area of sphere= 4[tex]\Pi[/tex]d[tex]^{2}[/tex]
density (p)= mass/volume

The Attempt at a Solution

somehow I'm assuming you're supposed to use the equation for the speed of a wave that includes force, which is V=[tex]\sqrt{T/\mu}[/tex]
but T=tension of the string. Since sound is not a wave on a string.. i am thoroughly confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF sammmy!

I think the first thing would be to write out the fundamental dimensions of each quantity:

I'll use [L] to mean "length", [M] for mass, and [T] for time:

[tex] [P] = \frac{[F]}{[A]} = \left([M] \cdot \frac{[L]}{[T]^2}\right)\left(\frac{1}{[L]^2}\right)[/tex]

in the last part on the right hand side, the quantity in the first set of parentheses is force (mass*acceleration), and the quantity in the second set of parentheses is 1/area.

So, pressure reduces to dimensions of:

[tex][P] = \frac{[M]}{[L][T]^2}[/tex]

similarly for density:

[tex][\rho] = \frac{[M]}{[V]} = \frac{[M]}{[L]^3}[/tex]

Now, does anything jump out at you? Hint: you want to get rid of [M] entirely.

Well, since dimensions of speed are meters/second- It seems as if the density equation would need to be flipped to 1/[tex]\rho[/tex] which is equal to L[tex]^{3}[/tex]/M so the masses cancel out

but I'm not sure how you can equate pressure and density.. ?

sammmy said:
Well, since dimensions of speed are meters/second- It seems as if the density equation would need to be flipped to 1/[tex]\rho[/tex] which is equal to L[tex]^{3}[/tex]/M so the masses cancel out

but I'm not sure how you can equate pressure and density.. ?

You can't "equate" them. But you can combine them together algebraically in an expression, in such a way that you are left with something that has dimensions of [L]/[T] (speed).

how about..
[tex]\sqrt{P/\rho}[/tex] so that [tex]\sqrt{(M/LT^{2})/(M/L^{3})}[/tex] which equals L/T

sammmy said:
how about..
[tex]\sqrt{P/\rho}[/tex] so that [tex]\sqrt{(M/LT^{2})/(M/L^{3})}[/tex] which equals L/T

Yes. Good work.

EDIT: Sound is indeed a wave, and you could have derived this result from the appropriate wave equation. I bring this up because your attempt in your original post to make an analogy with the wave speed for waves propagating in a string was a good insight. P is sort of analogous to T in its role of "forcing" or driving the oscillations (I think). The mass density appears in both equations and is a sort of "inertial" factor.

cepheid said:
yes. Good work.

Edit: Sound is indeed a wave, and you could have derived this result from the appropriate wave equation. I bring this up because your attempt in your original post to make an analogy with the wave speed for waves propagating in a string was a good insight. P is sort of analogous to t in its role of "forcing" or driving the oscillations (i think). The mass density appears in both equations and is a sort of "inertial" factor.

thank you!

1. What is the relationship between pressure and density in waves and sound?

In waves and sound, pressure and density are directly related. As pressure increases, density also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is known as the wave equation, which states that the speed of a wave is equal to the product of its wavelength and frequency.

2. How do pressure and density combine to produce dimensions of speed in waves and sound?

The combination of pressure and density in waves and sound is what allows for the transfer of energy through a medium. As waves travel through a medium, they create areas of high and low pressure which cause the density of the medium to fluctuate. This fluctuation in density results in the propagation of the wave at a certain speed.

3. How does the speed of sound change with variations in pressure and density?

The speed of sound is largely influenced by the pressure and density of the medium through which it is traveling. In general, as pressure and density increase, the speed of sound also increases. This is due to the increased resistance to compression and expansion in a denser medium, which allows sound waves to travel faster.

4. What are some real-world applications of understanding the relationship between pressure, density, and speed in waves and sound?

Understanding the relationship between pressure, density, and speed in waves and sound has many practical applications. For example, it is crucial in the design and construction of musical instruments, as well as in the study of weather patterns and ocean currents. It is also important in fields such as acoustics, seismology, and engineering.

5. How does the speed of sound differ in different mediums?

The speed of sound varies depending on the medium through which it is traveling. In general, sound travels faster in denser mediums, such as solids, than in less dense mediums, such as gases. For example, the speed of sound in air is approximately 343 meters per second, while the speed of sound in water is about 1,500 meters per second. This is because the particles in a solid are closer together, allowing for faster propagation of sound waves.