Ways to improve my chances to get into grad school?

In summary, the person is a sophomore looking to get into a Ph.D. program in Chemical Engineering but is concerned about their lower GPA due to slacking off in their freshman year and having a heavy workload. They are currently double majoring in Mathematics and Chemical Engineering, working part-time as a desktop support tech, and have an unpaid research job under a Chem E professor. They are wondering what looks good on a resume and how to improve their chances of getting into a decent graduate school. They also ask about the possibility of going from a bachelor's to a master's to a Ph.D. program and their chances of admission with their current GPA. The advice given is to pull up their grades and make realistic choices, as well as considering dropping
Krique
Okay, long story short, I am a sophomore looking at eventually getting into a Ph.D. program in Chemical Engineering but my grades aren't up to par. Due to slacking off Freshman year and a heavy work load (due to a double major and work) my gpa is only a 3.25. I'm just afraid because my classes are only going to get harder, so my gpa won't be easy to bring up.

Right now, I am double majoring in Mathematics (emphasis on modeling and advanced diff eq) and Chemical engineering. I work part time as a desktop support tech. Officially, I repair computers on campus but in reality, I mostly just set up outlook for secretaries. Also, I have an unpaid research job under a Chem E professor and I should be a co-author in a published paper by the time I am a junior. Also, I am trying to raise my grades but next year I get to take sep, thermo, mass transport, pchem, etc while still working and taking extra math classes, so they may not change much.

Basically, I am wondering what looks good on a resume. What should I do to try and improve my chances of getting into a decent graduate school? Also, if I cannot get straight into a Ph.D. program, how well does the bachelor => master => Ph.D. path work? And how are my chances at getting into a grad school if I keep my gpa about the same?

Thanks for any advice.
Derek

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to get into grad school, pull your grades up. Simple as that.

If you are making choices that prevent you from getting A's, you need to make different choices.

If you keep your GPA above a 3.0, you should be able to meet most graduate schools' requirements for admission, although some require 3.5. However, meeting the requirement of the graduate school and being competitive in the department's admission process is a different matter, and that depends on the institution. The better your GPA (and other things like GRE scores, research experience, etc.) the better your chances of admission. When you apply, just be realistic. This is true of both MS and PhD programs, although terminal MS programs will generally have easier admissions with a lower likelihood of financial support.

An MS program (if at a better or equivalent level institution as your undergrad) can improve your chances of admission into a PhD program, because it can be an opportunity to pull up your GPA (Generally institutions will use your GPA and institution reputation at your last attended institution... or if they use both, will weight the later). More importantly, if you do a thesis-based MS (rather than a coursework-based MS) you have an opportunity to pull up your research background more (although it looks like you already have some through Chem-E... and that's good).

When you take the GRE and get back scores, just weight that factor with your GPA... and be realistic about your applications. Right now you're not in as much trouble as some people since your present GPA is above a 3.0. Just don't let it sag... and try to improve it... since every factor counts in the admissions process.

I think one shouldn't come away with the idea "it's okay to get a low GPA for the next 2-1/2 years; I'll get a MS and pull up my grades then". You have an opportunity to finish above a 3.7. You really want to take advantage of that opportunity.

Do you think it would be better to drop my double major (I'd stick with just Chem E) and unpaid research to help bring up my gpa?

I would. That is a double whammy of positives for graduate school a better GPA and relevant research experience.

1. What grades do I need to get into grad school?

There is no set grade requirement for getting into grad school. Admission decisions are based on a combination of factors, including grades, test scores, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. However, most competitive grad programs will look for a GPA of 3.0 or higher.

2. How important are extracurricular activities for grad school admissions?

Extracurricular activities can be a great way to showcase your interests and skills, but they are not the most important factor in grad school admissions. Your academic achievements and research experience will typically carry more weight. However, involvement in relevant extracurriculars can demonstrate your passion and commitment to your chosen field.

3. Should I take a gap year before applying to grad school?

It ultimately depends on your individual circumstances and goals. Some students may benefit from taking a gap year to gain more research experience or improve their application. Others may prefer to apply directly after completing their undergraduate degree. Consider your personal and academic goals before making a decision.

4. How can I stand out in my grad school application?

To stand out in your grad school application, focus on highlighting your unique strengths and experiences. This could include research projects, internships, leadership positions, or relevant coursework. It's also important to tailor your personal statement and letters of recommendation to each specific program.

5. Can I apply to multiple grad schools at once?

Yes, you can apply to multiple grad schools at once. However, it's important to carefully consider each program and only apply to those that align with your academic and career goals. Keep in mind that each application may require different materials and have different deadlines, so it's important to stay organized and plan ahead.