We cannot define an order over all the sets

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary: When we pick $X=\varnothing$, it holds because it is known that $\varnothing \subset A$ for any set $A$.But could you explain me further why we could pick any $X$ ?...Any $X$ will do, as long as it is known that $A$ is a subset of $X$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hi! (Mmm)

This:
$$\subseteq_{\mathcal{P}A}=\{ <X,Y> \in (\mathcal{P}A)^2: X \subset Y\}$$
is a partial order of the power sets $\mathcal{P}A$.

But, we have to take attention to the following fact:

We cannot define an order over all the sets because if $R=\{ <X,Y>: X \subset Y \}$ is a set, then if $X=\varnothing$ we have that for each set $Y$, $\varnothing \subset Y$. Therefore $rng(R)=\{ Y: Y \text{ set } \}$ is a set.

Contradiction.

Could you explain me what is meant? I haven't understood it.. (Worried)

Physics news on Phys.org
You can define a partial order by inclusion on subsets of a given set, but not on all sets. This is because if $R$ is a set of pairs, then $\operatorname{rng}(R)$ is also a set. But for $R=\{\langle X,Y\rangle\mid X,Y\text{ are sets}, X\subseteq Y\}$, $\operatorname{rng}(R)$ includes all sets; therefore, $\operatorname{rng}(R)$ is not a set (recall that the collection of all sets is not a set), which means that $R$ is not a set.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
You can define a partial order by inclusion on subsets of a given set, but not on all sets. This is because if $R$ is a set of pairs, then $\operatorname{rng}(R)$ is also a set. But for $R=\{\langle X,Y\rangle\mid X,Y\text{ are sets}, X\subseteq Y\}$, $\operatorname{rng}(R)$ includes all sets; therefore, $\operatorname{rng}(R)$ is not a set (recall that the collection of all sets is not a set), which means that $R$ is not a set.

The range is this:

$$\operatorname{rng}(R)=\{ Y: \exists X (XRY) \}=\{ Y: \exists X (X \subseteq Y)\}$$

right? If so, could you explain me why $\operatorname{rng}(R)$ includes all the sets? (Thinking)

This is explained in post #1.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
This is explained in post #1.

Oh, yes.. you are right! Is $X=\varnothing$ the only set for which we can say for sure that $rng(R)$ and therefore $R$ is not a set? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Is $X=\varnothing$ the only set for which we can say for sure that $rng(R)$ and therefore $R$ is not a set?
This reminds me a joke. A visitor to Odessa, a city in Ukraine famous for its peculiar humor, asks a local: "Excuse me, if I go in this direction, will the railway station be there?" "Young man", says the local, "The station will be there even you don't go in that direction".

$\operatorname{rng}(R)$ is either a set or it isn't. This fact does not depend on the choice of $X$, though some choices make it possible to prove it.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
This reminds me a joke. A visitor to Odessa, a city in Ukraine famous for its peculiar humor, asks a local: "Excuse me, if I go in this direction, will the railway station be there?" "Young man", says the local, "The station will be there even you don't go in that direction".

$\operatorname{rng}(R)$ is either a set or it isn't. This fact does not depend on the choice of $X$, though some choices make it possible to prove it.

(Tmi) (Blush) Yes, you are right.. $\operatorname{rng}(R)$ is always a set.
By picking $X=\varnothing$, we found that $\operatorname{rng}(R)$ is not a set, so we found a contradiction...
So, is $\varnothing$ the only choice for $X$ in order to find a contradiction? (Thinking)

evinda said:
$\operatorname{rng}(R)$ is always a set.
Not always, but if $R$ is a set, which is not the case for $R=\{\langle X,Y\rangle\mid X,Y\text{ are sets}, X\subseteq Y\}$.

evinda said:
So, is $\varnothing$ the only choice for $X$ in order to find a contradiction?
For an arbitrary $X$ it is the case that for all $Y$, $X\subseteq Y$ implies $Y\in\operatorname{rng}(R)$. For any given $X$, the collection
\[
\{Y\mid Y\text{ is a set},X\subseteq Y\}\text{ is not a set.}\qquad(*)
\]
So any $X$ works for proving that $\operatorname{rng}(R)$ is not a set. But according to your threads, (*) has been shown in your course for $X=\emptyset$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Not always, but if $R$ is a set, which is not the case for $R=\{\langle X,Y\rangle\mid X,Y\text{ are sets}, X\subseteq Y\}$.

For an arbitrary $X$ it is the case that for all $Y$, $X\subseteq Y$ implies $Y\in\operatorname{rng}(R)$. For any given $X$, the collection
\[
\{Y\mid Y\text{ is a set},X\subseteq Y\}\text{ is not a set.}\qquad(*)
\]
So any $X$ works for proving that $\operatorname{rng}(R)$ is not a set. But according to your threads, (*) has been shown in your course for $X=\emptyset$.
When we pick $X=\varnothing$ it holds because it is known that $\varnothing \subset A$ for any set $A$.
But could you explain me further why we could pick any $X$ ? (Thinking)

For example if we pick $X=\{1,2,3\}$ how could we justify that $\{ Y| Y \text{ is a set, } \{1,2,3\} \subseteq Y \}$ is not a set? (Thinking)

Let $\Bbb U_X=\{Y\mid Y\text{ is a set and }X\subseteq Y\}$. Then any set $Z$ can be viewed as $Y\setminus X'$ for some $Y\in\Bbb U_X$ and some $X'\subseteq X$. But if $\Bbb U_X$ is a set, then so is $\{Y\setminus X'\mid Y\in \Bbb U_X,X'\subseteq X\}$.

Related to We cannot define an order over all the sets

1. Why can't we define an order over all sets?

Defining an order over all sets is not possible because there are infinitely many sets with different sizes and properties, making it impossible to create a universal order that encompasses all sets.

2. Can't we just use the size of the sets to create an order?

No, the size of a set does not determine its properties or its elements. For example, two sets with the same size may have completely different elements, making it impossible to create a consistent order based on size alone.

3. Is there any way to classify or organize sets without an order?

Yes, sets can be classified or organized based on their properties, such as whether they are finite or infinite, or whether they contain specific elements. However, this does not create a universal order over all sets.

4. Could advancements in mathematics or technology allow us to define an order over all sets in the future?

It is highly unlikely that an order over all sets can be created, as it goes against the fundamental principles of set theory. Even with advancements in mathematics or technology, it is highly improbable that we will be able to define an order over all sets.

5. How does the inability to define an order over all sets impact mathematics and science?

The inability to define an order over all sets does not have a significant impact on mathematics and science, as it is not necessary for their principles and applications. It simply means that there are limitations to our understanding of sets and their relationships.