Weak Force & Strong Force: Intro Recommendations

In summary, for upper-level physics majors or beginning grad students, two recommended books for an introduction to the weak force and strong force are "Modern Particle Physics" by Thomson and "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by Griffiths. For a more advanced level, "Quarks, Leptons and the Big Bang" by Allday and "Quarks and Leptons: An Introductory Course in Modern Particle Physics" by Halzen and Martin are suggested. It is also mentioned that the person asking the question has completed math up to linear algebra and Physics 253, a course which covers optics, special relativity, quantum mechanics, condensed matter, and nuclear physics.
Kiley
Any recommedations for intro into the weak force? Also ones for the strong force?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kiley said:
Any recommedations for intro into the weak force? Also ones for the strong force?

What does "intro" mean, i.e., what is your background in math and physics?

For (upper-level physics majors)/(beginning grad students), two books that I like are:

"Modern Particle Physics" by Thomson;

"Introduction to Elementary Particles" (second edition) by Griffiths.

Thank you for your reply,
I'm an undergraduate, finished math up to linear algebra and phys 253.

Thank you Smodak

Likes smodak
Kiley said:
I'm an undergraduate, finished math up to linear algebra and phys 253.
What is Physics 253? Course numbers are generally meaningless outside of a specific university, at least in the USA.

Likes Wrichik Basu and Demystifier
jtbell said:
What is Physics 253? Course numbers are generally meaningless outside of a specific university, at least in the USA.
Even outside USA. I still find myself in a fix when people mention calculus 1 or algebra 2.

Likes Demystifier
jtbell said:
Thanks for your reply jtbell, at my school it covers an intro to optics, special relativity, QM, condensed matter, and nuclear physics.

What is the difference between weak force and strong force?

The weak force and strong force are two of the four fundamental forces of nature. The strong force is responsible for holding together the nucleus of an atom, while the weak force is involved in radioactive decay. The main difference between the two is their relative strengths - the strong force is much stronger than the weak force.

Why are they called "weak" and "strong" forces?

The terms "weak" and "strong" refer to the relative strengths of these forces. The strong force is able to overcome the repulsive force between positively charged protons in the nucleus, while the weak force is only able to cause a small amount of radioactive decay.

What are some real-life applications of the weak and strong forces?

The strong force is responsible for keeping the nucleus of an atom stable, which is essential for the existence of matter as we know it. The weak force is involved in processes such as nuclear fusion in stars and the radioactive decay of elements, which have important implications in fields such as energy production and medicine.

How do scientists study the weak and strong forces?

Scientists study the weak and strong forces through experiments using particle accelerators, where subatomic particles are accelerated to high speeds and then collided. By analyzing the results of these collisions, scientists can gain insights into the behavior of these forces.

Are there any open questions or mysteries surrounding the weak and strong forces?

Yes, there are still many unanswered questions and mysteries surrounding the weak and strong forces. For example, scientists are still trying to understand the nature of dark matter and dark energy, which are believed to make up a large portion of the universe and may interact with these forces in unknown ways.