Wear rates and friction of plastics

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter es_shoes
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Friction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
es_shoes
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
I am looking to replace a set of brass and steel sleeve and cylinder having a ceramic tip with a plastic sleeve and cylinder having a plastic tip. The only question I have actually has two parts... are there any plastic, machineable materials that have comparable wear rates to that of ceramic? The probe enclosed on this setup works off the Eddy current, so the tip can't be metal. Just wondering if anything pops out at you guys for a strong plastic with good wear rates, and low friction between two layers of that material. Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd certainly look at Vespel. It won't wear as well as ceramic (what will!), but it's pretty good. You're probably going to want to talk to an applications guy about bearing-shaft issues. You'll need to have speed and radial load specs when you do.
 
I definitely will look at Vespel, thanks. The good part about the bearing-shaft setup is that it won't rotate like a wheel bearing, it will just move up and down slightly (its own weight is the only load)- to allow for measurement of changes of web thickness- from 0 to 10 mils. Thanks again.