Weather Ballon with Camera/GPS payload. 1x600g or 2x600g balloon for lift?

• Thread starter Rbai63
  • Start date
Hi I am starting a project and will be inflating a 900g Kaymount weather ballon with a payload that consists of a styrofoam box inside of that will be a SPOT personal gps tracker, Camera and a Flip HD camcorder. I purchased 2 of the 600g balloons. I will do this by filling one up and attatching 30-40Ft of string to one end and attaching it to the top of the other balloon. Would it be a good idea to inflate both for the 1 payload to get higher in the air and a faster accent rate, or is one 900g enough? I know some people use 1200g balloons. I am shooting for 100,000 Ft, after I recieve all materials in the mail I will figure out how much helium I will need for the payload because I am not sure what the weight will be for it yet I am guessing <5lbs.

Thanks

I will try to get this launched over Thanksgiving break, will upload photos and videos.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
Hi I am starting a project and will be inflating a 900g Kaymount weather ballon with a payload that consists of a styrofoam box inside of that will be a SPOT personal gps tracker, Camera and a Flip HD camcorder. I purchased 2 of the 600g balloons. I will do this by filling one up and attatching 30-40Ft of string to one end and attaching it to the top of the other balloon. Would it be a good idea to inflate both for the 1 payload to get higher in the air and a faster accent rate, or is one 900g enough? I know some people use 1200g balloons. I am shooting for 100,000 Ft, after I recieve all materials in the mail I will figure out how much helium I will need for the payload because I am not sure what the weight will be for it yet I am guessing <5lbs.

Thanks

I will try to get this launched over Thanksgiving break, will upload photos and videos.

Welcome to the PF.

Be sure to read this recent thread about high-altitude balloon experiments. It has some good advice about parachutes, low temperatures, and some legal issues. Also has a link to a cool video.

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Welcome to the PF.

Be sure to read this recent thread about high-altitude balloon experiments. It has some good advice about parachutes, low temperatures, and some legal issues. Also has a link to a cool video.
Which recent thread was that, Berkeman?