Website title: Partial Differentiation for f(x,y)=(3x^2+y^2+2xy)^1/2

In summary: Oh I see, so it would just be 0. So for the first one, it would be ∂fx=1/2(3x^2+y^2+2xy)^(-1/2)(6x+2y) and ∂fy=1/2(3x^2+y^2+2xy)^(-1/2)(2x+2). And for the second one, it would be ∂fx=3(x+y)^2 and ∂fy=3(x+y)^2. In summary, for the function f(x,y) = (3x^2 + y^2 + 2xy)^1/2, the partial derivatives with respect to x and y
wezzo62
Find ∂fxand ∂fy for: f(x,y)=(3x2+y2+2xy)1/2

i tried using the chain rule and said f(x,y) = u1/2 then
∂fu = 1/2u-1/2, ∂ux = 6x + 2 and ∂uy=2y+2

∂fx = 1/2(3x2 + y2 + 2xy)-1/2(6x + 2)

∂fy = 1/2(3x2 + y2 + 2xy)-1/2(2y + 2)

im not sure if this is correct as i don't know if I am doing the ∂ux and ∂uy part right?

I also have a similar problem with f(x,y)=(x+y)3:
∂fu=3u2, ∂ux and ∂uy=1
in which case both ∂fx and ∂fy=3(x+y)2. . . .
im not sure if ∂ux should be 1+y, ∂uy = x+1 therefore
∂fx=3(x+y)2(1+y) and ∂fy=3(x+y)2(x+1)

any help much appreciated, thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your first one is almost correct, and your second has the same error. Remember that the derivative of 2xy with respect to y is 2x, not 2. And similarly with the derivative with respect to x: it's 2y, not 2.

I figured it was something like that. so for the first one ∂ux=6x+y2+2y and ∂uy=3x2+2y+2x? which would make ∂fx=1/2(3x2+y2+2xy)-1/2(6x+y2+2y) and ∂fy=1/2(3x2+y2+2xy)-1/2(3x2+2y+2x) . . . . ?

also for the second one I've now got ∂fx=3(x+y)2y and ∂fy=3(x+y)2x

You've almost got it, but now you're including too many terms. What's the derivative of y^2 with respect to x?

2y dy/dx?

That would be correct if y depended on x, but here y and x are independent. So y^2 is a constant with respect to x, and you know the derivative of a constant, yeah?

Related to Website title: Partial Differentiation for f(x,y)=(3x^2+y^2+2xy)^1/2

1. What is partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its independent variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is often used in multivariable calculus and is an important tool in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How is partial differentiation different from ordinary differentiation?

Ordinary differentiation is used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to a single independent variable. Partial differentiation extends this concept to functions with multiple independent variables, allowing us to find the rate of change in one variable while holding the others constant.

3. Why is partial differentiation important?

Partial differentiation allows us to analyze how changes in one variable affect the output of a function, while keeping other variables constant. This is useful in many real-world scenarios where multiple factors may affect a given outcome, such as in economic models or physical systems.

4. How do you perform partial differentiation?

To perform partial differentiation, we take the derivative of a function with respect to a specific variable, treating all other variables as constants. This involves using the standard rules of differentiation, such as the product rule and chain rule, but with the additional step of holding other variables constant.

5. What are some practical applications of partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation is used in a wide range of fields, including physics, economics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to analyze the rate of change of velocity in a moving object, the effect of changing interest rates on the economy, or the optimization of a complex system with multiple variables.