Weighing yourself on a solid surface vs carpet

In summary, the debate over whether a scale shows you weigh more or less on a carpet has been ongoing. Some argue that the Earth's gravitational force is the same in both cases, so it shouldn't make a difference. However, others believe that the scale can be affected by the surface it's placed on, leading to different results. Factors such as the design and accuracy of the scale, as well as the potential for movement on a soft surface, can all play a role. Ultimately, the type of scale used and the specific circumstances may impact the weight shown.
fawk3s
Recently I started thinking about it, because apparently you get different results. At first, I thought you would weigh less on a carpet (according to the scale), because the carpet supports some of your and the scale's weigh. But thinking deeper into it, I actually figured it shouldn't make a difference, since the Earth's gravitational force is same in both cases and it doesn't really matter if the scale is supported entirely by the solid surface or the solid surface + the carpet, because they have to balance the same force anyway in order for the scale to remain still/not move.

So gaining interest in the subject, I started googling it, and to my surprise I found statements to both that "the scale shows you weigh more on a carpet" and "the scale shows you weigh less on a carpet than on a solid floor."
I also came across this interesting explanation, yet it only explains one version: http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2462-people-weigh-less-on-a-hard-surface.html

So I am a tad confused here. Does the result depend on the scale itself and the way it's designed/manufactured? (Because I can think of a couple of minor details which could give both results in scales.) Or is there a better explanation out there which supports one statement and crushes the other?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you try it and tell us what your results are?

I like Skeptic2's response but with a null result, you might argue that you scale is not accurate enough to measure the difference.

Fawk3s, have you learned that "F= ma"? As long as you have 0 acceleration (I started to say "motionless" but actual speed or velocity doesn't matter), the scale will record the same weight whether it is on a hard surface, or carpet, or a spring or whatever. The key is "0 acceleration". IF, as a result of placing the scale on a carpet (or spring or whatever) you had, momentarily, non-zero acceleration, then, at that instant, the scale would be off by "ma" where a is the acceleration.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only difference the carpet makes is that the scale can shift around much easier on carpet, and this can potentially throw off the measurement quite a bit.

Two other possible effects I found:
- On a carpet, the scale might be tilted a bit, which increases internal friction as it is not designed for forces horizontal to its surface.
- You are always moving a bit, which leads to a variable force on the scale. On a solid surface, this directly changes the force the scale sees. On a carpet, you get some damping. Now, depending on the measurement concept, the scale might react differently in those cases.

Pendergast found that digital scales were far less prone to the effect because of a slight difference in their internal mechanism.
That is an important statement.

mfb said:
Two other possible effects I found:
- On a carpet, the scale might be tilted a bit, which increases internal friction as it is not designed for forces horizontal to its surface.
- You are always moving a bit, which leads to a variable force on the scale. On a solid surface, this directly changes the force the scale sees. On a carpet, you get some damping. Now, depending on the measurement concept, the scale might react differently in those cases.

Pendergast found that digital scales were far less prone to the effect because of a slight difference in their internal mechanism.

That is an important statement.

I actually thought of that as well, and that's why I said I can see how it can both show that you are heavier and lighter. I am glad you pointed that out. :smile:
And I guess that statement pretty much does seal the deal indeed.

Thank you for the answers.

Mechanical scales have several levers inside to transfer your weight to the dial. When you put one of these scales on a carpet, the feet of the scale sink down, and pressure is applied to the bottom of the scale. This pressure bows the bottom of the scale, which then moves the anchor points of the internal pieces, and changes the weight readout. Depending on the design of the scale, this can change your weight in either direction.

Likes 1 person
One thing to understand is that scales cannot possibly measure your weight directly. A scale can only measure the force it exerts on you (normal force), but if the scale is on flat ground, and you do not accelerate when you are standing on it, then you can ASSUME that the normal force is equal to the weight regardless of the surface the scale sits on. You do raise a good point, that perhaps the scale isn't perfectly level on carpet - in which case the normal force would not be quite equal to the force of gravity, but there isn't anything inherently present in carpet that would make a scale measure a lesser force.

If you put the scale on a mattress or trampoline and stand on it, I suspect the scale would indicate a much lower weight. This is because the force of your weight is distributed over a larger surface area than is covered by the scale. A scale on carpet would be the same effect but less pronounced. A scale on a hard surface works because the entire force of your weight is directed on to the scale.

Imagine sitting in a chair and putting the scale under one leg. The scale will only measure a portion of your weight. If the legs are even (e.g. using books to support the other chair legs to the same level as the scale) the scale would measure 1/4 of your weight.

QuantumPion said:
A scale on a hard surface works because the entire force of your weight is directed on to the scale
If you only touch the scale, all your weight is supported by the scale, no matter how hard the surface is. Whether the scale still correctly measures that weight, is an engineering / design issue.

I actually figured it shouldn't make a difference, since the Earth's gravitational force is same in both cases and it doesn't really matter if the scale is supported entirely by the solid surface or the solid surface + the carpet, because they have to balance the same force anyway in order for the scale to remain still/not move.

Correct.

It's an engineering problem really, not a physics problem.

1. How does weighing yourself on a solid surface differ from weighing on carpet?

When you weigh yourself on a solid surface, such as tile or hardwood, the scale is able to accurately measure your weight because it is a stable and even surface. However, when you weigh yourself on carpet, the scale may not be able to provide an accurate measurement due to the uneven and cushioned surface.

2. Will weighing yourself on carpet affect the accuracy of the scale?

Yes, weighing yourself on carpet can affect the accuracy of the scale. The cushioned surface of carpet can compress under your weight, causing the scale to give a lower reading than your actual weight. This can also happen if the scale's sensors are not able to make proper contact with the ground through the carpet.

3. Can the type of carpet affect the accuracy of the scale?

Yes, the type of carpet can affect the accuracy of the scale. Thicker and more plush carpets are more likely to compress under your weight, resulting in a lower reading on the scale. Thin carpets or low pile carpets may have less of an impact on the accuracy of the scale.

4. How can I ensure an accurate weight measurement on carpet?

If you prefer to weigh yourself on carpet, there are a few things you can do to ensure an accurate measurement. First, make sure the scale is placed on a hard, flat surface on top of the carpet. Additionally, you can place a hard, flat object, such as a piece of plywood or a bathroom scale mat, on top of the carpet and then place the scale on top of that for a more stable surface.

5. Is it better to weigh yourself on a solid surface or carpet?

It is generally recommended to weigh yourself on a solid surface for the most accurate measurement. However, if you prefer to weigh yourself on carpet, just make sure to follow the tips mentioned above to minimize any potential inaccuracies in the scale's reading.