Welcome Back! Reflecting on Deployment and the Joy of Homeport

• Thread starter B. Elliott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bit
In summary, the speaker had been away from the Physics Forums for some time and felt guilty after catching up on threads in the Astronomy and Computing sections. They had been on deployments and recently settled in Hawaii, where they had been able to buy their dream car. Other members welcomed them back and thanked them for their service, with one member mentioning their own family member stationed in Hawaii. The speaker expressed gratitude for being able to return and mentioned coming across something that reminded them of another member while in Australia.
B. Elliott
I haven't been on PF in quite a while now and after reading through some of the threads in the Astronomy and Computing sections, I feel as though I've been missing out, er, a bit guilty.

I was out on a couple of deployments for quite some time (got to see some beautiful countries), and finally made my change of homeport to Hawaii. I'm at least somewhat settled in now, thankfully, so i'll definitely be visiting more often. Finally got to buy my dream car!

IMG-20110624-00079.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
nice picture.

B. Elliott said:
I haven't been on PF in quite a while now and after reading through some of the threads in the Astronomy and Computing sections, I feel as though I've been missing out, er, a bit guilty.

I was out on a couple of deployments for quite some time (got to see some beautiful countries), and finally made my change of homeport to Hawaii. I'm at least somewhat settled in now, thankfully, so i'll definitely be visiting more often. Finally got to buy my dream car!
Welcome home to PF! Nice car. Take good care of each other. :biggrin:

Welcome back! Thank you for your service, and enjoy Hawaii in your new car. Looks like a beauty!

My nephew took a promotion to Master Chief (specialty in propulsion) a couple of years back and is currently stationed in Hawaii. His wife and daughter love the change after years and years in San Diego.

Welcome back! I've wondered about you. It sure looks like you've done well! Hawaii? That is so not fair!

Hope you'll have more time to post now.

Great to see you back!

Quick, get a rope to tie him down!

Thanks everyone. I thought about all of you a few time while we were underway, but obviously couldn't get on even if I wanted to. It was at times aggravating having a conversation with someone about geology or astronomy, and not having a decent reference for information.

While I was in Australia I came across something that for a second made me think of you, Evo.
IMG-20110701-00085.jpg

How did I miss your home coming? Glad to see you back.

Glad to find you home at PF, safe and sound. What a great car, and a great state to live in!

Related to Welcome Back! Reflecting on Deployment and the Joy of Homeport

1. What is deployment?

Deployment is the term used to describe the process of sending military personnel and equipment to a specific location, typically for a period of time. This location can be within the United States or overseas.

2. How long do deployments typically last?

The length of a deployment can vary depending on the specific mission and branch of the military. Generally, deployments can range from 6-12 months, but they can also be shorter or longer.

3. What is homeport?

Homeport is the designated port or location where a military ship or unit is based when not deployed. It is essentially their home base where they return to after being deployed.

4. What is the purpose of reflecting on deployment?

Reflecting on deployment allows military personnel to process and make sense of their experiences while deployed. It can also help them cope with any challenges or difficulties they may have faced during their time away.

5. How can we support military personnel returning from deployment?

One way to support military personnel returning from deployment is to create a welcoming and understanding environment. This can include listening to their experiences, offering assistance if needed, and providing resources for readjustment. It is also important to be patient and understanding as they transition back to civilian life.