Naked-Eye Visible GRB: Witnessing Halfway Across All Creation

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Creation
In summary, on March 19th at 2:20AM, a Gamma Ray Burst (GRB) occurred that was visible to the naked eye from 7.5 billion light years away. This object put out a million, million, million times more energy than the Sun will in its entire 10 billion year lifetime. This is farthest object ever seen with the naked eye, surpassing galaxy M33 at 2.9 million light years away. The burst lasted about 60 seconds and was followed by an afterglow. There were no significant gamma ray radiation found on Earth due to the distance and Earth's atmosphere protecting us.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
On March 19th at 2:20AM** http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2008/03/20/naked-eye-visible-grb/". In the few seconds this object flared, it put out a million, million, million times more energy than the Sun will in its entire 10 billion year lifetime.

This occurred very, very far away, but it was so bright that it was visible to the naked eye. The object's intrinsic brightness is almost inconceivable.

Until March 19th, the farthest object visible to the naked eye was galaxy M33, at a modest 2.9 million light years away. This Gamma Ray burst occurred 7.5 billion light years away - and was visible to the naked eye.

That's 7.5 billion light years.

The universe is only 13 billion light years wide.

This GRB was an object powerful enough to be naked-eye visible from halfway across all Creation.

** (Not quite the same day, but almost exactly 24 hours after the death of Arthur C. Clarke.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
My entire team is very excited. One of us (not me! :biggrin:) had to wake up very early this morning to analyze a radio observation. Unfortunately, I've been too swamped with other things to take a look at it (I analyze X-ray data primarily).

Any pictures of when it happened? How long was it visible in the sky for? I would hate to think nobody was looking into the sky when it happened.

bassplayer142 said:
Any pictures of when it happened? How long was it visible in the sky for? I would hate to think nobody was looking into the sky when it happened.

Great frame animation: http://grb.fuw.edu.pl/pi/ot/grb080319b/normal.html

The gamma-ray burst itself lasted about 60 seconds. The optical observations are actually part of the afterglow, which occurs after the burst.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was there significant gamma ray radiation found on Earth because of this. Obviously this didn't wipe out everything

bassplayer142 said:
Was there significant gamma ray radiation found on Earth because of this. Obviously this didn't wipe out everything

No, the burst occurred far from us (redshift z = 0.937), and Earth's atmosphere protects us from gamma-rays. High-energy observations are conducted by space-based telescopes.

1. What is a Naked-Eye Visible GRB?

A Naked-Eye Visible GRB, or Gamma-Ray Burst, is an extremely powerful and rare explosion that occurs in distant galaxies. These bursts emit high-energy gamma rays and can be seen with the naked eye.

2. How far away are Naked-Eye Visible GRBs visible?

Naked-Eye Visible GRBs are visible from distances of billions of light-years away. This means that the light from the explosion has traveled for billions of years before reaching Earth.

3. How long do Naked-Eye Visible GRBs last?

Naked-Eye Visible GRBs typically last for only a few seconds, but some can last for up to a few minutes. This is a very short amount of time compared to other astronomical events.

4. What causes a Naked-Eye Visible GRB?

Naked-Eye Visible GRBs are thought to be caused by the collapse of massive stars or the collision of neutron stars. These events release a tremendous amount of energy, resulting in the burst of gamma rays that can be seen from Earth.

5. Why are Naked-Eye Visible GRBs important to study?

Naked-Eye Visible GRBs provide scientists with valuable information about the early universe and the processes that occur in distant galaxies. They also help us better understand the physics of extreme events and the formation of elements in the universe.