Western philosophy vs Indian philosophy

• Thread starter rahaverhma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Philosophy
In summary, the main difference between Western and Indian philosophy is their fundamental beliefs and perspectives, with Western philosophy focusing on rational thinking and Indian philosophy focusing on spiritual concepts. They also differ in their approach, with Western philosophy being more analytical and critical, while Indian philosophy takes a more holistic and intuitive approach. Both traditions have a wide range of philosophical traditions within them, and share commonalities in seeking to understand reality and ethics. They have also influenced each other throughout history, with Greek philosophers being influenced by Indian thought and modern Western philosophy being influenced by Eastern philosophies.
rahaverhma
I from India want to ask a question that how the western philosophy of Science i.e.After Plato and Aristotle, is different from the Indian philosophy like vedic science and mathematics?

Physics news on Phys.org
rahaverhma said:
I from India want to ask a question that how the western philosophy of Science i.e.After Plato and Aristotle, is different from the Indian philosophy like vedic science and mathematics?
I'm afraid we don't discuss philosophy here.
Thread closed.

1. What is the main difference between Western and Indian philosophy?

The main difference between Western and Indian philosophy lies in their fundamental beliefs and perspectives. Western philosophy is primarily concerned with rational thinking and logical analysis, while Indian philosophy focuses on spiritual and metaphysical concepts such as karma, dharma, and reincarnation.

2. How do Western and Indian philosophy differ in terms of approach?

Western philosophy tends to be more analytical and critical, using reason and logic to examine and understand the nature of reality. Indian philosophy, on the other hand, takes a more holistic and intuitive approach, often incorporating elements of religion and spirituality.

3. Which philosophical traditions fall under Western and Indian philosophy?

The Western philosophical tradition includes ancient Greek philosophy, medieval philosophy, and modern philosophy. Indian philosophy encompasses a wide range of traditions, including Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism.

4. Are there any commonalities between Western and Indian philosophy?

Despite their differences, there are some commonalities between Western and Indian philosophy. Both traditions seek to understand the nature of reality and the meaning of human existence. They also share an interest in ethical principles and moral values.

5. How has Western and Indian philosophy influenced each other?

Western and Indian philosophy have had a significant impact on each other throughout history. During the Hellenistic period, Greek philosophers were influenced by Indian thought, particularly in regards to metaphysics and ethics. In modern times, Western philosophers have also been influenced by Eastern philosophies, leading to the development of new schools of thought such as Transcendentalism and Existentialism.