Whale Resting Behavior: Insights and Visuals

• Thread starter Gonzolo
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is looking for information on the behavior of large whales, specifically their tendency to rest vertically in the water. They believe this behavior may be exhibited by sperm whales but are looking for confirmation. They are also interested in learning more about the daily life of large whales and have been directed to a website that provides information on killer whale behaviors.
Gonzolo
Hi, a long time ago, while flipping channels, I crossed what was probably a documentary on whales. All I remember was an underwater shot of about 3 or more whales that were motionless and vertical. I suppose they were resting somehow. I tend to believe they were sperm whales, but I could be wrong. I am looking for more info on this behavior (how often, how long, why, etc.), and pictures if possible, as it was quite impressive visually. Thx.

Biology news on Phys.org
Could someone describe, or direct me to where I can find info on "an average day in the life of a large whale"?

http://www.alaska.net/~awss/KWBehaviors.html Here is a good site on killer whales...they "rest" too

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is whale resting behavior?

Whale resting behavior refers to the various ways in which whales rest, sleep, and conserve energy. This can include behaviors such as floating at the surface, slow swimming, and even remaining motionless for short periods of time.

2. How do whales rest?

Whales rest in different ways depending on their species and environment. Some species, such as humpback whales, may float at the surface while others, like sperm whales, may sleep vertically or horizontally. Whales also have the ability to rest one half of their brain at a time, allowing them to remain partially alert while still conserving energy.

3. How long do whales typically rest?

The duration of whale resting varies among species and is also affected by factors such as food availability and predators. Some species may rest for a few minutes at a time, while others may rest for several hours.

4. Do whales rest in groups or alone?

Whales can rest both individually and in groups. Some species, like sperm whales, may rest alone while others, such as humpback whales, may rest in groups called "rafts". This can provide protection and safety for the resting whales.

5. Are there any dangers to whale resting behavior?

While resting, whales are vulnerable to potential dangers such as collisions with boats and ships, entanglement in fishing gear, and disturbance by human activities. It is important for humans to be aware of whale resting areas and to practice responsible boating and fishing practices to minimize these risks to whales.