What a recommendation letter needs.

In summary, it is important for your professor to mention the length and nature of your relationship, highlight your unique qualities and strengths, provide specific examples of your work, and emphasize the relevance of your academic journey to the graduate program.
Lavabug
I believe I've procured 4 professors/advisers to write recommendation letters for me for my grad school applications. It just so happens that 3 are active in my research area of interest, but I have a really strong friendship with 4th one as I've known him the longest (freshman physics professor/tutor) and has seen my progress much more closely (we often see each other many times a year and always have interesting discussions about physics). Since some schools ask for 3 rec letters tops, I would much prefer his words over some of the other profs since he would probably describe me a lot better.

The problem is that he doesn't have much/any experience writing recommendation letters compared to the other profs, so he's asking me what kind of things I would like him to mention in his letters. He is an adjunct prof at his alma matter, where I studied before transferring to another uni, so I am thinking he should mention how harsh the university grades and how I compare to other students, are there any other important things that should be mentioned?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is definitely important that your professor/adviser understand the context of the recommendation letter. He should mention how long you have known each other and the nature of your relationship. It would also be helpful if he highlights any unique qualities or strengths you possess that would be beneficial to the graduate program you are applying for. This could include your ability to work independently, your strong academic record, your creativity and problem-solving skills, or any research projects you have taken on. Additionally, if he can provide specific examples of work or projects you have completed together, this would be a great way to showcase your skills and abilities. Finally, it would be beneficial to have him focus on the importance of your overall academic trajectory and how your journey has prepared you for the graduate program you are applying for.

FAQ: What a recommendation letter needs.

1. What should be included in a recommendation letter?

A recommendation letter should include the name and position of the person writing the letter, the name and position of the person being recommended, the nature of the relationship between the two, and specific examples and anecdotes that highlight the person's skills and qualifications.

2. How long should a recommendation letter be?

A recommendation letter should typically be one page in length. It should be concise and to the point, focusing on the person's key strengths and experiences.

3. Who should I ask to write a recommendation letter for me?

You should ask someone who knows you well and can speak to your character, skills, and qualifications. This could be a professor, supervisor, mentor, or colleague.

4. Can I see my recommendation letter before it is submitted?

It is not common practice for the person writing the letter to share it with the person being recommended. However, you can provide them with relevant information and examples that you would like them to include in the letter.

5. Is it important to tailor a recommendation letter for each job/program?

Yes, it is important to tailor a recommendation letter for each job or program you are applying for. This allows the letter to be more specific and relevant to the position or program, and shows that the person writing the letter has taken the time to customize it for you.