1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What a recommendation letter needs.

1. Nov 12, 2012 #1
    I believe I've procured 4 professors/advisers to write recommendation letters for me for my grad school applications. It just so happens that 3 are active in my research area of interest, but I have a really strong friendship with 4th one as I've known him the longest (freshman physics professor/tutor) and has seen my progress much more closely (we often see each other many times a year and always have interesting discussions about physics). Since some schools ask for 3 rec letters tops, I would much prefer his words over some of the other profs since he would probably describe me a lot better.

The problem is that he doesn't have much/any experience writing recommendation letters compared to the other profs, so he's asking me what kind of things I would like him to mention in his letters. He is an adjunct prof at his alma matter, where I studied before transferring to another uni, so I am thinking he should mention how harsh the university grades and how I compare to other students, are there any other important things that should be mentioned?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted