What Are My Career Options After Earning a BS in Physics?

In summary: I think the telling deficiency is that you did not specify *what* you want to research. It doesn't have to be specific, but the total lack of *any* specificity will make getting even a tech job difficult.
cacl_sam
I just completed my BS in Physics and Computer Science from a small university. I am looking for a research position or a research assistant position. Most of the jobs I see are looking for MS or PhD or postdoc researchers. I want to collect experience and earn some money (just a little to keep me alive for a year) and then want to join a graduate school after a year. Any suggestions, friends? Feel free to do feasibility analysis here :)

Physics news on Phys.org
A BS in physics does not really qualify you for a "research position". (Just like a BS in history wouldn't)

What other career options, you suppose, would be out there in general?

cacl_sam said:
I just completed my BS in Physics and Computer Science from a small university. I am looking for a research position or a research assistant position. Most of the jobs I see are looking for MS or PhD or postdoc researchers. I want to collect experience and earn some money (just a little to keep me alive for a year) and then want to join a graduate school after a year. Any suggestions, friends? Feel free to do feasibility analysis here :)

I think the telling deficiency is that you did not specify *what* you want to research. It doesn't have to be specific, but the total lack of *any* specificity will make getting even a tech job difficult.

cacl_sam said:
What other career options, you suppose, would be out there in general?

Pretty much whatever you think would be interesting. You'll have more or less luck getting a position depending on what it is, and who else applies for the job.

Andy Resnick said:
I think the telling deficiency is that you did not specify *what* you want to research. It doesn't have to be specific, but the total lack of *any* specificity will make getting even a tech job difficult.

Thanks for your reply. My interest is on Quantum Physics.

Quantum physics is a little too broad a term and basically encompasses all modern physics. When people ask about research areas they're generally thinking something along the following list:

Optics, condensed matter/solid state, cosmology, astronomy, atmospheric physics, medical physics, particle physics, nuclear physics, accelerator physics, computational, etc.

Related to What Are My Career Options After Earning a BS in Physics?

1. What jobs can I get with a BS in Physics?

With a Bachelor of Science in Physics, you can pursue a variety of careers in different industries. Some common job titles for physics graduates include research scientist, engineer, data analyst, technical writer, and teacher. Your problem-solving and analytical skills acquired through your degree can also be applied to roles in finance, consulting, and technology.

2. Is a master's or PhD necessary for a career in physics?

While a graduate degree can open up more opportunities and potentially lead to higher salaries, a bachelor's degree in physics is still valuable in the job market. Many entry-level positions in research, engineering, and teaching are available for those with a BS in Physics. It ultimately depends on your career goals and personal preferences.

3. What skills and qualities are important for a career in physics?

Strong critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills are crucial for success in a physics career. You should also have a solid understanding of mathematics, computer programming, and data analysis. Other important qualities include attention to detail, curiosity, and the ability to communicate complex ideas effectively.

4. What industries can I work in with a degree in physics?

The field of physics is diverse, and there are many industries that rely on the expertise of physicists. Some common industries include aerospace, energy, healthcare, telecommunications, and government. However, physics can also be applied to other industries, such as finance, entertainment, and environmental science.

5. How can I gain practical experience in physics while pursuing my degree?

There are several ways to gain practical experience in physics while in college. You can participate in research projects with professors, intern at a company or research institution, or join a physics club or society on campus. You can also seek out opportunities for hands-on learning through projects or labs in your coursework.