What Are My Career Options After Earning a BS in Physics?

  • Topic: Physics 
  • Thread starter Thread starter cacl_sam
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Career Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
cacl_sam
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
I just completed my BS in Physics and Computer Science from a small university. I am looking for a research position or a research assistant position. Most of the jobs I see are looking for MS or PhD or postdoc researchers. I want to collect experience and earn some money (just a little to keep me alive for a year) and then want to join a graduate school after a year. Any suggestions, friends? Feel free to do feasibility analysis here :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
A BS in physics does not really qualify you for a "research position". (Just like a BS in history wouldn't)
 
What other career options, you suppose, would be out there in general?
 
cacl_sam said:
I just completed my BS in Physics and Computer Science from a small university. I am looking for a research position or a research assistant position. Most of the jobs I see are looking for MS or PhD or postdoc researchers. I want to collect experience and earn some money (just a little to keep me alive for a year) and then want to join a graduate school after a year. Any suggestions, friends? Feel free to do feasibility analysis here :)

I think the telling deficiency is that you did not specify *what* you want to research. It doesn't have to be specific, but the total lack of *any* specificity will make getting even a tech job difficult.
 
cacl_sam said:
What other career options, you suppose, would be out there in general?

Pretty much whatever you think would be interesting. You'll have more or less luck getting a position depending on what it is, and who else applies for the job.
 
Andy Resnick said:
I think the telling deficiency is that you did not specify *what* you want to research. It doesn't have to be specific, but the total lack of *any* specificity will make getting even a tech job difficult.

Thanks for your reply. My interest is on Quantum Physics.
 
Quantum physics is a little too broad a term and basically encompasses all modern physics. When people ask about research areas they're generally thinking something along the following list:

Optics, condensed matter/solid state, cosmology, astronomy, atmospheric physics, medical physics, particle physics, nuclear physics, accelerator physics, computational, etc.