1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Admissions What are my odds of getting into a PhD program?

1. May 25, 2017 #1
    What I want: to get into an okay-average Environmental Engineering, Materials Science, or Physics PhD program.

My resume: Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Major

8 months experience with an extremely reputable food and beverage company as a process engineer sort of role. I'm leaving by choice if accepted to grad school.

GPA - 3.16

President of a school environmental activism club.

1 year of research experience as a research assistant for a school lab. I also did my own research and presented multiple poster presentation on the subjects in competitions.

Member of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers

Ironman Triathlons finisher

Eagle Scout

Yada, yada, yada.

Anyways, those are the important parts. If you have any institutions to recommend or any advice to give, no matter how harsh, I'd appreciate it below.

Thanks for the help, guys.

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2017 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Not really. Grad school admissions are not like undergrad. They don't care about this. They care about your grades, your test scores, and your letters of recommendation. Your grades are not strong. You don't mention your test scores, but since you are looking outside your field, it will be difficult to compete with people who are in their field. That leaves letters. They would need to be very, very strong.

4. May 25, 2017 #3

CalcNerd

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

What Vanadium 50 stated is true. However, if you apply into a Masters program and if you (or your company) are going to foot the bill, most universities will let you enroll on a provisional basis. If you do well (ie A level work) after several classes, you may have one of your professors approach you about pursuing a PHD, but that is not a given.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted