What are projective transformations?

In summary, the conversation discusses projective transformations and their role in projective geometry. The transformations of the projective plane are GL(R, 3)/~ and can include reflections in planes and lines through the origin. A projective transformation describes the change in projective points when a scene is projected from the origin onto a plane in space. The purpose of a projective base and the "extra point" or "unity" is to determine a unique projective transformation. The conversation also mentions the importance of projective transformations in the context of Klein's Erlangen Program and the difficulty in understanding the connection between the algebra and the intuition behind projective geometry. However, it is noted that with practice, this understanding will come. The conversation
A_B
Hi,

I'm having trouble interpreting projective transformations. Let's confine ourselves to the projective plane [itex]P(\mathbb{R}_0^3)[/itex].

The transformations of the projective plane are [itex]GL(\mathbb{R}, 3) / \sim[/itex]. But these include things like reflections in planes and lines through the origin.

I don't see how that corresponds to anything useful. Perhaps it'll help if I explain what I think a projective transformation should do, so you ca correct me.

A scene in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] consists of some points [itex]p_1, p_2, ..., p_n[/itex]. There is a plane in space, say [itex]\alpha \leftrightarrow x=1[/itex] on which we project the scene from the origin. Now we move the origin, or equivalently the scene and the plane, and do the projection again. The projective points will have changed and a projective transformation describes this change.

Thanks
A_B

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, turns out I was indeed wrong. Here I found a short explanation of what a projective transformation is: http://www.geom.uiuc.edu/docs/reference/CRC-formulas/node16.html.

But as for how the algebra is related to this concept... I'm clueless.

What on Earth is the purpose of a "projective base", and that "extra point", the "unity"?
(In my course material there is a theorem that proves that the extra point is necessary to determine a unique projective transformation, but since I don't know what a projective transformations is, nor what I should imagine when thinking of a projective base, that theorem adds little to my understanding of it all.)

What is the point of calculating the "coördinates of a point relative to a given projective base"?
Why can't we just use a representative (x,y,z) of the point X = [(x, y, z)]? What's the difference?

A_B

I don't know anything about projective geometry but your post intrigued me and I think you might have missed the wiki page for an idea why projective transforms are important and what they intuitively "do":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homography

I have read the wiki page.
I think I roughly understand what a projective transformation does, although the only expamles I can think of right now are perspective transformations and parallel projections (the latter being equivalent to the former, it's just a perspective transformation from a point at infinity). I don't know if there are other examples of projective transformations.

The main problem is making the connection between the formalism (projective base, homogeneous coordinates, projective transformations as equivalence classes in the general linear group etc.) and the intuitive picture .

I have read and understood many arguments that treat the subject synthetically. i.e. they start from incidence axioms and derive the theorems of projective geometry, no problem there. It's the connection between the algebra and the ideas that I can't grasp.

I do understand how P(R^3) is a good model of the projective plane, [(x, y, z)] being points and all that. It's the transformations and projective bases that I don't understand. Why would we even bother with projective transformations?

Does a projective transformation describe a change in the position/orientation of the plane on which the projection is made? Does it describe a movement of the center of the projection? What is the significance of the projective base, and especially of the unity point?
Those are my questions

A_B

Hi,

I think I've figured it out (partially, but the rest will follow)
The mistake I made was that the plane on which a projection is made plays no role in projective geometry, because as soon as such a projection is made, you have fixed your "line at infinity" and hence you are dealing with an affine space.

The projective transformations of an n-dimensional projective space act upon the points of this space, which are rays of an n+1 dimensional vector space.

The point of considering these transformations is clear in the context of Klein's Erlangen Program. The invariants under the group of projective transformations correspond exactly to those properties of plane figures that are left invariant under a projection on to another plane.

The thing that isn't entirely clear to me yet is which plane to plane projections are covered by GL(R, n)/~, and which are not. But I suppose that will come with practice.

Also, the meaning of the "unity" in a projective base is still a little vague...

A_B

they are just represented by invertible linear transformations. But multiplying one by a ≠0 scalar defines the same geometric transformation.

1. What are projective transformations?

Projective transformations are mathematical operations that map points from one coordinate system to another. They are used to transform an object or image from one perspective to another, such as rotating, scaling, or skewing an image.

2. How are projective transformations different from other types of transformations?

Projective transformations preserve straight lines and ratios of distances, while other transformations, such as affine transformations, do not. This makes projective transformations useful for tasks such as image stitching and perspective correction.

3. What are some real-world applications of projective transformations?

Projective transformations are commonly used in computer graphics, computer vision, and image processing. They are used in applications such as video game graphics, virtual reality, and medical imaging.

4. How are projective transformations calculated?

Projective transformations are typically represented by a matrix, and the transformation is calculated by multiplying the matrix by the coordinates of the point being transformed. The resulting coordinates are then mapped to the new coordinate system.

5. Can projective transformations be applied to three-dimensional space?

Yes, projective transformations can be applied to three-dimensional space, but they are usually used for 2D images. In 3D graphics, projective transformations are typically used for perspective projection, which simulates how objects appear to the human eye.