What are some cases (if any) of people coming back from the dead?

  • Topic: Medical 
  • Thread starter Thread starter murshid_islam
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Biology Medical
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
31 replies · 6K views
murshid_islam
Messages
468
Reaction score
21
TL;DR
Looking for cases where patients were pronounced dead and then came back to life.
I am looking for cases (if any) where patients were pronounced dead by doctors and then came back to life. Are there any such cases? I am not looking for cases of near-death experiences. I'm also not looking for cases where patients were mistakenly declared dead when they were still alive.
 
Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
You can probably find some interesting cases if you look for things like "rescued from glacier" and such like. It is a fairly well known thing that people can be cold enough that their heart and breathing stops, possibly for amazing periods like many minutes or even an hour. But, because they are cold, tissue damage is reduced. The rather macabre expression is "You are not dead until you are warm and dead."
 
murshid_islam said:
TL;DR Summary: Looking for cases where patients were pronounced dead and then came back to life.

I am looking for cases (if any) where patients were pronounced dead by doctors and then came back to life. Are there any such cases? I am not looking for cases of near-death experiences.
It seems like an easy thing to search for on Google, although you'll need to filter the results with some skepticism. What have you found in your searching so far?
 
berkeman said:
It seems like an easy thing to search for on Google, although you'll need to filter the results with some skepticism. What have you found in your searching so far?
Google didn't help much. The results were about near-death experiences, and from sources like buzzfeed, boredpanda etc. Any ideas on how to narrow down the search?

Edit: Just found out about Lazarus Syndrome.
 
Last edited:
murshid_islam said:
Google didn't help much. The results were about near-death experiences, and from sources like buzzfeed, boredpanda etc. Any ideas on how to narrow down the search?

Edit: Just found out about Lazarus Syndrome.
I had a quick look in the BMJ, one case of a brain dead patient suddenly started breathing on her own.
Lots of anecdotal.
 
murshid_islam said:
I am looking for cases (if any) where patients were pronounced dead by doctors and then came back to life.

Well, I guess in order to get some information from the previously-declared-dead person, they would need to have enough of their faculties present after they came back in order to hold a conversation. Seems unlikely to me...
 
murshid_islam said:
I am looking for cases (if any) where patients were pronounced dead by doctors and then came back to life. Are there any such cases? ....I'm also not looking for cases where patients were mistakenly declared dead when they were still alive.
Those are the same thing.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: hutchphd, Vanadium 50, DrClaude and 4 others
russ_watters said:
Those are the same thing.
what he said (very small).jpg
 
pinball1970 said:
I had a quick look in the BMJ, one case of a brain dead patient suddenly started breathing on her own.
Lots of anecdotal.
Can you share some more details about that case?
 
murshid_islam said:
Can you share some more details about that case?
I just found it in seconds, you have the key words. BMJ, pronounced dead, started breathing.
Just do a search in Google
 
russ_watters said:
Those are the same thing.
I think I know the distinction. Yes near death and dead then not being dead are both not being dead.
I am assuming he means the case where someone has a heart attack, heart stopped, then brought back via CPR or defibrillator.
As opposed to prounced dead, then spontaneously coming back. Start breathing again unaided.
The first scenario fairly common and the second very rare.
 
pinball1970 said:
I think I know the distinction. Yes near death and dead then not being dead are both not being dead.
I am assuming he means the case where someone has a heart attack, heart stopped, then brought back via CPR or defibrillator.
As opposed to prounced dead, then spontaneously coming back. Start breathing again unaided.
The first scenario fairly common and the second very rare.
You're more generous than I: the OP says nothing about medical intervention or lack thereof.

Also, the second scenario would be hard to distinguish from a third where the medical professional mistakenly declares death.

But I think the OP was asking about the fourth scenario...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and pinball1970
russ_watters said:
You're more generous than I: the OP says nothing about medical intervention or lack thereof.

Also, the second scenario would be hard to distinguish from a third where the medical professional mistakenly declares death.

But I think the OP was asking about the fourth scenario...
Mm... I will ask.
 
murshid_islam said:
Can you share some more details about that case?
What scenario are you thinking of?
If an individual is actually dead then they stay dead.
If an individual is "mistakenly" pronounced dead then they are not dead.
If an individual is dead regarding heart stopped/ stopped breathing and is revived via medical intervention then they are also not dead.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters
pinball1970 said:
I am assuming he means the case where someone has a heart attack, heart stopped, then brought back via CPR or defibrillator.
Yes, that's one of the types I am talking about. A slightly different case that I am also interested in is where someone's heart stopped and then started again spontaneously without medical intervention.

pinball1970 said:
If an individual is dead regarding heart stopped/ stopped breathing and is revived via medical intervention then they are also not dead.
This is the one I am interested in. Before the revival, the individual is dead. They just didn't remain dead.
 
I have a friend who is preparing for a heart operation.
He wants a do not resuscitate condition for himself, but the doctors are saying you need an exception for when they stop his heart to do the operation and also during recovery when relatively trivial things can happen.

This is a common thing and points out why not all lack of heartbeat conditions would be considered dead.
Live versus dead is not always an easy call.
The safest definition is probably someone who is dead and doesn't come back to life.
This makes it not an instant decision.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Laroxe, pinball1970, berkeman and 1 other person
pinball1970 said:
That is the one yes.
Looks like the full text of the article is behind a paywall? Did the baby survive?
 
berkeman said:
Looks like the full text of the article is behind a paywall? Did the baby survive?
I'll have a check today, there could be press releases.
 
berkeman said:
Looks like the full text of the article is behind a paywall? Did the baby survive?
The most recent news articles I could find are from September 2022, and it appears that the baby was still on life support at that time.

Here are some links:
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...-guys-st-thomas-hospital-london-b1021291.html
https://www.mylondon.news/news/zone-1-news/new-trial-after-unfair-hearing-25104832
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...eclared-dead-win-High-Court-appeal-fight.html
 
berkeman said:
Looks like the full text of the article is behind a paywall? Did the baby survive?
I found this too, a link to sky report in there.

https://www.lifefunder.com/SaveBabyA

EDIT;
Possibly still not think this is what the OP is looking for.

This is a baby that became ill, taken to hospital and deteriorated to the point the Drs performed tests to assess brain function.
Conclusion was brain death and stop life support but this turned out to be wrong, either something went wrong with the test or the test was not adequate in this case.
The baby still needs life support and has been on it since becoming ill so technically has never been dead.
If the Drs do their job properly then a person stays dead by definition, they are not coming back.
This is not a criticism, this depends on when and where they are in the world and
what tech they have available at the time.
This link is interesting because it appears Taphophobia was a thing not without merit.

https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2016/01/06/im-not-dead-yet/
 
Last edited:
BillTre said:
This is a common thing and points out why not all lack of heartbeat conditions would be considered dead.
And...(my understanding), why heartbeat now isn't the sole or even primary criteria for judging, brain function is.

We've learned a lot over the last few decades, but the threshold remains both hard to identify and inexact for some cases. That creates risk of error/misunderstanding in the judgement.
 
russ_watters said:
And...(my understanding), why heartbeat now isn't the sole or even primary criteria for judging, brain function is.
Has there been any case where the brain function stopped and the patient later came back to life?
 
murshid_islam said:
Has there been any case where the brain function stopped and the patient later came back to life?
Just the case with the baby we cited with any sort of detail.
You would have to know a lot more about the actual tests they perform on the brain/brain stem in these cases I think.
To get an idea.
Something like the process to assess brain injury?
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg176
 
murshid_islam said:
Has there been any case where the brain function stopped and the patient later came back to life?
No, but "stopped" isn't the threshold, unless I'm not splitting a hair correctly. This isn't my field, but I think the physical function of the body is controlled by the brain stem and often remains active after other parts of the brain are not.

And again, it's mostly an issue of measurement/error.
 
Somehow the Miracle Max scene in The Princess Bride sticks in my mind.

This question seems too wooly to answer. Has someone been pronounced dead, not by mistake, but "most sincerely dead" and then come back? Isn't that the definition of a mistake?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and russ_watters
Vanadium 50 said:
Somehow the Miracle Max scene in The Princess Bride sticks in my mind.

This question seems too wooly to answer. Has someone been pronounced dead, not by mistake, but "most sincerely dead" and then come back? Isn't that the definition of a mistake?
Right, that's the problem: he wasn't really dead, he was only mostly dead. They just didn't have an EEG handy to confirm.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Laroxe, Vanadium 50 and pinball1970
I think there is an issue in how death is defined, the linked article discusses some issues. Usually, death is defined as irreversible and is linked to the functioning of the whole organism rather than single physiological functioning, lots of cells in the body continue to function for some time after death. I think the idea of someone returning from being dead is really based on the fear of doctors making a mistake.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5570697/
 
  • Informative
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and pinball1970