What are some commonly used mathematical constants and their purposes?

In summary, π is a constant used in mathematics to represent the ratio between the circumference and diameter of a circle. It is also used in formulas to calculate the area of a circle, along with other constants such as Euler's number and the golden ratio. Other constants in math include the Fibonacci numbers and the Bernoulli numbers, which have various applications in different mathematical problems. While mathematical constants have specific values, the units of measurement for different shapes and areas may be the same, making it impossible to distinguish between them based on units alone. Instead, the shape of the area must be taken into account to determine the correct formula to use for calculation.
pairofstrings
Hi. π is a constant. The purpose of π is to use it to find circumference of a circle or area of a circle. Correct? Can you please elaborate?
Can you point out any other two constants and its purpose?
Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well - not exactly. π occurs almost everywhere in mathematics, the ratio between the circle diameter and its circumference is just one example.

Other constants are (for example)
Then there are the sequences of constants like
There is a website dedicated to such sequences: https://oeis.org/.

jedishrfu said:
Is this for a school report?
Looking for a new constant.

Svein said:
π occurs almost everywhere in mathematics, the ratio between the circle diameter and its circumference is just one example.
What are the uses of constants?
Web does not show satisfying answers.

pairofstrings said:
I'm not sure whether this makes any sense. In the end a mathematical constant is simply a number. The only reason why it can be called a mathematical constant, which I personally would not, is the fact that it occurs on various seemingly independent occasions and formulas. So first are the principles and then comes the constant, not the other way around. Or you just can pick any number.
What are the uses of constants?
Usually to write down formulas in a short and precise way. Otherwise the circumference of a circle with radius ##1## couldn't be handled nicely. Carpenters might be satisfied with ##3.14##, mathematicians can not. Or how would one write the normal distribution, which is basically all around in this universe?
Web does not show satisfying answers.
Here's a nice, but by no means complete list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_constant
If you want to find usages, then pick one and start searching. E.g. for ##\pi\; , \;e## or the golden ratio you will find more webpages than you can read.

1 is also a constant.

fresh_42 said:
In the end a mathematical constant is simply a number.
In this context, I would say that a mathematical constant is a named number. We give the number a name for the same reason that we give anything a name -- to make it easy to refer to. It is a lot easier to write down ##\pi## than to write down "the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter"

Likes Delta2
Except we have also named numbers like ten, a hundred, a thousand... or a googol for the convenience of talking and writing about them in a common sense way.

pairofstrings said:
Here you go: 464.36466905383373880693157320423356352311325674
I am sure no one ever used this number before.
Is there any application for this number? Probably not.

You don't start with "I want a new constant". You start with a mathematical question. e. g. "what is the ratio between circumference and diameter of a circle", and you discover that it is the same for every circle, and determine properties of this constant ratio.

Likes FactChecker
I like the story of 1729. Ramanujan was sick in the hospital and GH Hardy went to see him. Hardy remarked

I remember once going to see him when he was ill at Putney. I had ridden in taxi cab number 1729 and remarked that the number seemed to me rather a dull one, and that I hoped it was not an unfavourable omen. "No," he replied, "it is a very interesting number; it is the smallest number expressible as the sum of two cubes in two different ways."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1729_(number)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxicab_number

More recently, mathematicians found that Ramanujan had been investigating other numbers like these and realized that he was looking into the Fermat's little theorem:

https://www.zmescience.com/science/math/taxi-number-ramanujan-03213/

I have another question: π is a constant - has value 3.14 (roughly), if I measure the area of circle in mm2 and area of square in mm2 and obtain two values - area of circle in mm2 and area of square in mm2 then how would I know that this number is talking about area of circle and this number is talking about area of square because the area of both shapes is in mm2? Assume that area of square is 201.06 mm2 and area of circle is 201.06 mm2.

Is it possible to distinguish area of circle from area of square and so that only by looking at the units or perhaps result I can say that the person is talking about area of square or area of circle? Is it possible to talk about the shape just by looking at units or perhaps result?

πr2: we know what the value of constant π is. If I multiply π with 25: 3.14 x 25 mm2 then the result is 78.5 mm2. What influence does π or 3.14 have on answer? Will this π say that we are talking about circle? But the end result is a number with units mm2 - we could not distinguish area of square with area of circle if the units are same!

pairofstrings said:
Is it possible to distinguish area of circle from area of square and so that only by looking at the units
No. An area is an area. The shape of an area tells you what kind of formula you need to use to calculate the area. Of course, you are free to use the raw force method - divide the area into very small squares and count them.
pairofstrings said:
What influence does π or 3.14 have on answer?
π is part of the formula to calculate the area of the circle, just as ½b⋅h is the formula for calculating the area of a triangle. Those formulas are there to make things easier for you, you do not have to use them.
220px-Regular_polygon_5_annotated.svg.png

Look at the pentacle above. There is a formula for calculating the area, I am not going to tell you what it is. How are you going to find the area and how do you know that the area is the correct one?

Attachments

• 220px-Regular_polygon_5_annotated.svg.png
    220px-Regular_polygon_5_annotated.svg.png
    4 KB · Views: 592
pairofstrings said:
Is it possible to distinguish area of circle from area of square and so that only by looking at the units or perhaps result I can say that the person is talking about area of square or area of circle? Is it possible to talk about the shape just by looking at units or perhaps result?
You seem to keep underestimating the importance of how something can be used. Out of all the mathematics and arithmetic that has been done throughout history, only a tiny, tiny fraction is worth becoming part of standard mathematics. Any single number is a "constant" but only a few have a name.
The concept of area, independent of shape is very useful. It helps to abstract many calculations and concepts without regard to shape. Abstraction of area/volume is extremely important in mathematics and physics.

Thread closed, because the question has been answered.

Last edited by a moderator:

What are constants in mathematics?

Constants in mathematics are fixed values that do not change during a particular mathematical operation or equation. They are usually represented by letters or symbols and have a fixed numerical value or meaning.

Why are constants important in mathematics?

Constants are important in mathematics because they provide a fixed reference point for calculations and equations. They help to establish relationships between different variables and are essential for solving mathematical problems.

What is the difference between a variable and a constant?

A variable is a symbol or letter that represents a quantity that can change in a mathematical equation. On the other hand, a constant is a fixed value that does not change during the equation. Variables are usually represented by letters from the latter half of the alphabet, while constants are represented by letters from the first half of the alphabet.

Can constants take on different values?

No, constants by definition have a fixed value that does not change. They are not affected by other variables or operations in a mathematical equation and will always have the same value throughout the equation.

Are there different types of constants in mathematics?

Yes, there are different types of constants in mathematics, including numerical constants (such as pi or the speed of light), physical constants (such as the gravitational constant), and mathematical constants (such as the golden ratio or Euler's number).