What are some examples of software malpractice in Electrical Engineering?

• Thread starter Nitrag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrical
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a topic for an Electrical Engineering malpractice project. The discussion suggested the California blackouts and NASA shuttle failures, but these topics were deemed unsuitable. The suggestion of the 2003 blackout was met with approval due to the availability of information. The idea of including software in Electrical Engineering malpractice was also brought up, with examples such as the Y2K bug and limitations on RAM and hard disk capacity mentioned.
Nitrag
I have a project where I need to research and report on an Electrical Engineering malpractice. Basically, where the engineer faulted the design.

I can't find anything with any amount of information. Anyone have any ideas or topics? I was thinking of the California blackouts but there isn't any information online. Other people in my class are doing the NASA shuttle failures. I need a different topic.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks, there seems to be good information on this!

Electrical Engineering malpractice? This almost sounds redundant...

And could you include software in Electrical Engineering? As basically, introducing software somewhere is a malpractice by itself.

You could take as an example all software that malfunctioned due to the unexpected occurrence of the year 2000. Or software being sold today but which can't accept over 4GB of RAM nor over 2TB of hard disk.

Related to What are some examples of software malpractice in Electrical Engineering?

1. What are some common examples of electrical malpractices?

Some common examples of electrical malpractices include improper installation of wiring, faulty wiring or connections, overload of electrical circuits, and the use of unapproved or damaged electrical equipment.

2. How can electrical malpractices be prevented?

Electrical malpractices can be prevented by hiring a licensed and experienced electrician for any electrical work, regularly inspecting and maintaining all electrical systems and equipment, and following proper safety procedures when handling electricity.

3. What are the potential risks associated with electrical malpractices?

The potential risks of electrical malpractices include electrical shocks, fires, and damage to electrical equipment. These risks can lead to serious injuries, property damage, and even death.

4. How can I identify if there are electrical malpractices in my home or workplace?

You can identify electrical malpractices by looking for warning signs such as flickering lights, frequent tripping of circuit breakers, burning smells, or buzzing sounds from outlets or appliances. It is important to address these issues immediately to prevent further problems.

5. What should I do if I suspect electrical malpractices in my home or workplace?

If you suspect electrical malpractices, it is important to immediately turn off the power and contact a licensed electrician for an inspection. Do not attempt to fix the issue yourself, as this can be dangerous. It is also advisable to notify the appropriate authorities, such as your landlord or workplace safety officer, depending on the location of the malpractice.