What are some recommended books for learning C, Java, and Groovy as a beginner?

• Java
  • Thread starter thedude36
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the speaker has recently learned Ruby and started a text-based game project to help with understanding. The project is going well and they are now interested in learning other languages, specifically C and Java. They are looking for book recommendations to help them get started, and also wondering if their knowledge of Ruby can help them start with a more advanced C book. Another suggestion is to ease into Java via Groovy, a dynamic scripting language that is a superset of Java and similar to Ruby. The recommended book for Groovy is "Groovy Recipes" by Scott Davis. For Java, "Core Java" by Cay Horstmann is suggested, and for C, the classic book "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan and Ritch
thedude36
I've recently learned a bit of the ruby language and have started a text-based game project to help me along with understanding it. The project has been going really well and I am wanting to branch off and start learning a bit of other languages. I have several friends who have studied CS and they have all expressed the value of C and Java so I thought those would be a good place to start. Could anyone recommend any good books that would help me get started? I have a functional grasp of Ruby, which, I've been told, is itself written in C and was wondering, also, if that would allow me to start with a slightly more advanced C book or if it would still be in my best interest to start from the very beginning.

Technology news on Phys.org
if you're familiar with ruby then maybe you want to ease yourself into java via groovy. groovy is a dynamic scripting language similar to ruby but which is a superset of Java. Most java snippets can be run in groovy.

http://groovy.codehaus.org/

The easiest groovy book is: Groovy Recipes by Scott Davis

For java the most thorough is Core Java by Cay Horstmann

For C the classic book (first book) by Kernighan and Ritchie is good. Orielly has a C in a Nutshell which is also very thorough but maybe too dense.

1. What are the best books to learn C/Java?

Some of the most highly recommended books for learning C include "The C Programming Language" by Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie and "C Programming: A Modern Approach" by K. N. King. For Java, popular books include "Head First Java" by Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates and "Effective Java" by Joshua Bloch.

2. Are there any online resources for learning C/Java?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning C and Java. Some popular ones include Codecademy, Udemy, and Coursera. Additionally, many universities offer free online courses on these topics.

3. Do I need any prior programming experience to learn C/Java?

No, you do not necessarily need prior programming experience to learn C or Java. However, having a basic understanding of programming concepts and logic can make the learning process easier.

4. How long does it typically take to learn C/Java?

The amount of time it takes to learn C or Java can vary depending on factors such as your learning style, dedication, and prior programming experience. Some people may be able to grasp the basics in a few weeks, while others may take several months to become proficient.

5. Are there any other programming languages I should learn before C/Java?

It is not necessary to learn any other programming languages before learning C or Java. However, having a basic understanding of fundamental concepts such as variables, loops, and functions can make the learning process smoother.