There are a lot of different Japanese animations to choose from, depending on what kind of story that piques your interests, below is a list of all the animations
that I have seen in the past 20 years that I deem is good.
Mobile Suit Gundam 1 Year War 0079
Mobile Suit Gundam Z
Mobile Suit Gundam Char's Counter Attack ( this one is the final battle between Amuro Ray and Char Aznable )
Mobile Suit Gundam F91
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket ( Side story of the 1 Year War , has a VERY strong anti-war theme )
Mobile Suit Gundam 8th MS Team
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory
MSIgloo Apocalypse ( Best CG animated series for Gundam )
Super Dimensional Fortress Macross
Mospeada
Southern Cross
Votoms
Dunbine
Orguss
Project Zeomer
Megazone 23
God Bless Dancougar
Anything by Miyatake is good, personal fav is Valley of the Wind and Graveyard of the Fireflies ( I almost burst into tears at the end )
Bubblegum Crisis
Akira
Spriggan
Neo Genesis Evangelion ( was horrible at the end , but Gainax is re-releasing everything again and tying up the final story )
Gunbuster 1 & 2 ( Best ending I've seen done by Gainax )
Blue Submarine No.6
Battle Fairy Yukikaze
Gasaraki
Legend of the Galaxy Heroes ( Best story that I have ever seen, makes Star Wars look like a 30 sec diaper commercial )
Getter Robot Series
Sergeant Frog
King of Braves GaoGaiGar
Planetes ( Highly recommended )
Moonlight Mile ( currently watching this , another highly recommended series )
Monster
Voices from a distant Star
Serial Experiments Lain
She, The Ultimate Weapon
Ghost in the Shell
Bleach
One Piece
The above are just some of the stuff I can think of-hand right now,m have fun looking for them.