Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What are the applications of H & K sheet polaroid?

1. Sep 8, 2017 #1
    We were given an assignment on Polaroids and I couldn't find the uses of H sheet Polaroid and K sheet Polaroid.

I would really appreciate the help.
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2017 #2

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well there is of course the eyeglasses and photography applications, as a filter reducing glare and enhancing images.

- There's analysis of materials by how they affect polarized light.
    Take sugar water (common table sugar) in a jar and place it between two polaroid films. See what happens when you rotate. Do the same with a piece of clear glass or plastic. Try it with various crystals.

4. Sep 9, 2017 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Strange. I Googled H sheet Polaroid and I got several hits. Always try Google if you don't know anything about a topic.

5. Sep 9, 2017 #4
    I got the details about H sheet Polaroid and K sheet Polaroid but I couldn't find the applications for each of them.

6. Sep 10, 2017 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

About third on my google list, I found this link. Is that any use?

7. Sep 11, 2017 #6

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would add, that the H, J, and K type Polaroid films are for the most part functionally identical. It's a matter of newer and better materials and methods of fabrication. So w.r.t. applications you're just talking Polaroid sheets not one of the specific type. (It seemed to me the OP is over emphasizing the specific H and K types.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted