What are the best resources for designing a low-noise 60W tube amp?

In summary, the speaker is looking for recommendations on books about tube amp circuits to help design a 60 watt hifi tube amp with low noise levels and ideal configurations. They mention that their EE degree did not cover tube technology and provide a tutorial link on the subject. There is also a suggestion that vacuum tubes may not be the best choice for low noise, as their second harmonic distortion adds a pleasant effect.
dahlungril
Hey everyone!

I have a project going on with a friend...a hifi tube amp! yeehaw!

Im going to start small the 60 watt range (30 per channel) and am wondering if anyone has any recommended reading for tube amp circuits, i need a book that gets right down into the dirt of tubes so that i can design it from the roots up with very low noise level and ideal configurations.

Any direction is greatly appreciated as I just got through my EE degree and we didnt even touch on vacuum tubes once...everything is solid state and digital it seems. grrrrrr not in the audiophile wolrd :D

Take good care all,
Dave

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here is a short tutorial on the internet:

http://www.hans-egebo.dk/Tutorial/amplifiers.htm

Just a thought.. if you are going for low noise, vacuum tubes may not be the ticket. Most audiophiles I know like the sound from these units because they are not very clean. The second harmonic distortion does have a rather pleasant effect, especially with old Fender guitar amps.

"Small" is 1-5 W. http://www.audiobanter.com/q-t_53330-Good-Tube-Books.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What are the best resources for designing a low-noise 60W tube amp?

1. What is a 60W tube amp?

A 60W tube amp is an electronic device that uses vacuum tubes to amplify an audio signal. It is typically used in music production or live performances to amplify the sound of electric instruments. The "60W" refers to its power output, which indicates how loud and clear the sound can be.

2. How is a 60W tube amp different from other types of amplifiers?

Unlike solid-state or digital amplifiers, a 60W tube amp uses vacuum tubes to amplify the audio signal. This results in a warmer, more natural sound that is preferred by many musicians. Tube amps also tend to have more dynamic range and a smoother distortion compared to other types of amplifiers.

3. What components are needed to build a 60W tube amp?

The main components needed to build a 60W tube amp include a power supply, preamp, power amp, and output transformer. Other necessary components include vacuum tubes, resistors, capacitors, and other electronic components. Additionally, a suitable chassis and cabinet are needed to house the components and provide proper ventilation.

4. Is it difficult to build a 60W tube amp?

Building a 60W tube amp can be a complex and time-consuming process, especially for those without experience in electronics. It requires knowledge of circuitry, soldering, and safety precautions. However, with proper research, guidance, and attention to detail, it is possible to successfully build a 60W tube amp.

5. Can a 60W tube amp be customized or modified?

Yes, a 60W tube amp can be customized or modified to suit the user's preferences. Some common modifications include changing the types of vacuum tubes, adjusting the circuitry for different tones, or adding effects such as reverb or tremolo. However, it is important to note that modifications should be done carefully and with proper knowledge to avoid damaging the amp.