What are the different kinds of charge density?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Blockade
Messages
68
Reaction score
0
At this point I was given rho, sigma and landa to hold value of these three different kinds of density
ρ = Charge/Volume -------------- Volume Density
σ = Charge/Area ----------------- Area Density
λ = Charge/Length ---------------- Length Density

How do I know which type of density to use over the other in a Gauss's Law Problem?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Blockade said:
At this point I was given rho, sigma and landa to hold value of these three different kinds of density
ρ = Charge/Volume -------------- Volume Density
σ = Charge/Area ----------------- Area Density
λ = Charge/Length ---------------- Length Density

How do I know which type of density to use over the other in a Gauss's Law Problem?
one is writing /using Gauss's theorem and one calculates total flux crossing a closed surface and charges are contained inside the surface so it mainly depends on the nature of distribution of charge inside the closed surface , as you have to calculate the total charge also.
if you have volume charge distribution then volume density can be used...similarly surface or linear charge distribution.take some examples.