What are the different sub-fields and branches of astrophysics?

• Thread starter antassantas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field Fit
In summary, the speaker is a 15-year-old interested in physics and is planning to take their first physics class in their sophomore year. They are particularly interested in astrophysics and are considering pursuing it as a career, but are unsure about the different branches and whether they can learn all of them to an expert level. The speaker is advised to focus on doing well in high school physics and mathematics classes and to not worry about choosing a specific field until graduate school. They are also informed that a PhD is necessary for a job in astrophysics.
antassantas
Hello, I have been interested in physics since I was 9 (i'm 15) and am going to be taking my first physics class sophomore year in this coming year. It got me thinking as to what type of physics I want to pursue.

I am really interested with space and how it works and the fundamentals of what had to happen and what will happen to certain things. I was hoping to be an Astrophysicist after college but have come to a crossroad in my decision. Astrophysics, as of my current understanding, includes many different branches of physics and I am wondering if I could learn the whole (or try at least) to learn the whole spectrum of those sub-fields. some examples of the sub-fields are: mechanics, electromagnetism, statistical mechanics, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, relativity, nuclear and particle physics, and atomic and molecular physics.

Also then there divided by space regions: The main Branches of Astrophysics or Astronomy are: Solar Astrophysics, Stellar Astrophysics, Planetary Astrophysics, Galactic Astrophysics, Extra-galactic Astrophysics, and Cosmology. Is it possible to try and learn all of these to an experts extent of knowledge?

I understand I might be getting ahead of myself and will eventually figure this out, but I am just curious as to if I have to choose which one to go into. Thank you for any advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
At your age you should just worry about doing well in trig, algebra and physics in high school. You'll start to get an idea of what you want to do as you get further into physics (although it sounds like you're pretty interested in astrophysics).

As for astrophysics, you're going to need a PhD if you want a job in that field. For your bachelor's you will learn all the basics: Newtonian mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, waves, optics, etc. Many universities also teach relativity as an undergrad class though I've looked at some that save it for grad school.

This will get you pretty much all the tools that you need (plus the math!) to do any kind of physics, you won't have to worry about focusing on one subject until grad school. I'm about 21 and starting my third year of college, I also want to be an astrophysicist but I haven't taken anything astronomy related, it's just been a lot of math, Newtonian mechanics and EM.

Short version: just get good grades and don't focus on one field right now because that's the worst thing you can do

Related to What are the different sub-fields and branches of astrophysics?

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a field?

When choosing a field, you should consider your interests, skills, values, and career goals. It's also important to research the job market and demand for different fields.

2. How do I determine my strengths and weaknesses for different fields?

One way to determine your strengths and weaknesses for different fields is to take career assessment tests or talk to a career counselor. You can also reflect on your past experiences and feedback from others.

3. What are the current trends in different fields?

The current trends in different fields can vary, but it's important to stay updated on industry news and advancements. Networking with professionals in your desired fields can also give you insight into current trends.

4. Should I choose a field based on job prospects or my passion?

This is a personal decision that ultimately depends on your priorities. Some people may prioritize job stability, while others may prioritize following their passion. Consider finding a balance between the two and exploring career options that align with both your skills and interests.

5. How can I gain experience in different fields before committing to one?

You can gain experience in different fields through internships, volunteering, job shadowing, or taking on projects related to your desired field. These experiences can help you gain insight into the day-to-day tasks and responsibilities of different fields.