What are the forces on you in an elevator?

In summary, based on the trends in the data, riding an elevator while standing on a scale will affect your weight measurement due to acceleration and deceleration during the ride. This involves considering the second law of motion and forces such as gravity, normal force, and tension. It is not necessary to calculate a specific number for the change in weight.
kashiark

Homework Statement

Based on the trends in your data, predict how riding an elevator while standing on a scale will affect your weight measurement. Try it and describe the forces on you.

Homework Equations

It's a philosophical question; no math needed.

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the first part, so all I'm left with is "describe the forces on you." Gravity obviously, the normal force, tension? I'm sure I'm over-thinking this. Is there a force specifically for accelerating, or is it still considered the normal force or tension?

Physics news on Phys.org
You will experience acceleration and deceleration during the ride.
Thus, you should be considering The second law of motion

You think it's asking for a number based on the amount that my weight decreased/increased? I wouldn't even know how to calculate that.

FAQ: What are the forces on you in an elevator?

1. What is the force of gravity on you in an elevator?

The force of gravity on you in an elevator is the same as the force of gravity on you when you are standing on the ground. This force is what keeps you grounded and pulls you towards the center of the Earth.

2. What is the normal force in an elevator?

The normal force in an elevator is the force that the elevator floor exerts on you to support your weight. It is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force of gravity, and it changes as the elevator moves up or down.

3. Is there a centrifugal force in an elevator?

No, there is no centrifugal force in an elevator. The feeling of being pushed towards the back of the elevator when it accelerates upwards is actually due to inertia, not a centrifugal force.

4. What is the net force on you in an elevator?

The net force on you in an elevator is the sum of all the forces acting on you. This includes the force of gravity, the normal force, and any other external forces such as air resistance or friction.

5. How does the force of gravity change in an elevator?

The force of gravity does not change in an elevator. However, your perceived weight may change due to the acceleration of the elevator. For example, if the elevator is accelerating downwards, you may feel heavier, and if it is accelerating upwards, you may feel lighter.