What Are the Latest Laser Cooling Techniques for Nd:YAG Lasers?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter 0207
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cooling Laser
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
0207
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
I wish to know more about the latest laser cooling techniques. I have heard about the use of radio waves to cool the laser. Can anyone throw more light upon it?

Is there any latest technique in use these days to cool Nd:YAG laser ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
'laser cooling' generally means using laser light to cool an object, not thermal management of the actual laser. Do you have an application in mind?
 
Andy Resnick said:
'laser cooling' generally means using laser light to cool an object, not thermal management of the actual laser. Do you have an application in mind?

Atomic clock?
 
Ok... so I assume you are referring to NIST's recent efforts in changing the standard clock from a Cesium rf-based measurement to a (IIRC) Mercury ion optical transition, and how cooling the ions increases the precision.

Yes?
 
Andy Resnick said:
Ok... so I assume you are referring to NIST's recent efforts in changing the standard clock from a Cesium rf-based measurement to a (IIRC) Mercury ion optical transition, and how cooling the ions increases the precision.

Yes?

No. I am referring to the laser cooled cesuim fountain clock which, I think, is the clock used at present in the US. http://tf.nist.gov/cesium/fountain.htm
 
well, I think I did not put the question in a comprehensible form.
Let me put it this way ..
Most energy that goes into the laser does not emerge in the beam, all this energy does not vanish, most becomes heat, which must be removed from the laser. Techniques like convection cooling by air can remove waste heat from low power lasers, but as the power (and the waste heat) levels increase,so do the cooling requirements. I am particularly interested in these or any other latest technique in use these days for removal of waste heat in high power Nd:YAG lasers.