What Are the Limitations and Risks of Using Squared Pulses in Antennas?

• Thread starter dervast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Antennas
In summary: A square wave is composed of the sum of all odd harmonics of the base frequency. Therefore it requires an infinite bandwidth to create a perfect square wave. Unfortunately all physical circuits have a somewhat less then infinite bandwidth. So perfect square waves are not possible. However, you can apply pulses that are more or less squared to an antenna and then you get a lot of troubles with your local control agency for the use of the electromagnetic spectrum, because you're polluting!
dervast
Hi. Yesterday i have had a strange question.. why can't we use squared pulses in antennas? What kind of pulse can we use in antennas?
Thx a lot

Engineering news on Phys.org
A perfect square pulse is nearly impossible for ANY electronics circuit. Computer engineers would give precious body parts for a perfect square wave.

The reason lies in Fourier Analysis. From that you learn that a square wave is composed of the sum of all odd harmonics of the base frequency. Therefore it requires an infinite bandwidth to create a perfect square wave. Unfortunately all physical circuits have a somewhat less then infinite bandwidth. So perfect square waves are not possible.

Antenna's are tuned to specific wavelengths, working best with a narrow band of frequency's and the harmonics. For instance it is common to find antennas that are [itex] \frac 1 4 \lambda [/itex] (wavelength). That means that the length of the antenna is [itex] \frac 1 4 [/itex] the wavelength of the base frequency. Recall that [itex] c = \lambda f [/itex] so frequency uniquely determines wavelength and visa versa.

By combining the output of several antenna there are amazing things that can be done with the power distribution of the transmitted signal. That is not my bailiwick, perhaps some of the EEs can give an in depth explanation.

dervast said:
Hi. Yesterday i have had a strange question.. why can't we use squared pulses in antennas? What kind of pulse can we use in antennas?

Referring to Integral's reply, you CAN of course apply pulses that are more or less squared to an antenna, and then you get a lot of troubles with your local control agency for the use of the electromagnetic spectrum, because you're polluting !

Thx a lot vanesch i have found your answer really interested.. I am wondering what do u mean by syaing that some square pulses will pollute ? Can u explain me this please?

dervast said:
Thx a lot vanesch i have found your answer really interested.. I am wondering what do u mean by syaing that some square pulses will pollute ? Can u explain me this please?
The electromagnetic spectrum is a shared resource. That's why there are regulations about what frequencies are used for what, and how much power can be used with what kinds of modulations in different windows in the EM spectrum.

Are you familiar with the frequency content of a square wave? What kind of harmonic energy is present? If you drive a square wave of frequency f into an antenna, what other frequencies will be launched off the antenna? The antenna will have a finite bandwidth, of course, but you will still likely be transmitting out of your intended band, and causing interference with other bands.

Related to What Are the Limitations and Risks of Using Squared Pulses in Antennas?

What are squared pulses and antennas?

Squared pulses and antennas refer to a type of signal and corresponding device used in wireless communication. A squared pulse is a type of digital signal that consists of a series of short pulses with equal amplitude and duration. An antenna is a device that is used to transmit and receive electromagnetic waves, including squared pulses, for communication purposes.

How are squared pulses and antennas used in wireless communication?

Squared pulses and antennas are used in wireless communication to transmit and receive information over a distance without the use of physical wires. Squared pulses are used to encode data, and antennas are used to transmit and receive these signals to and from other devices, such as cell phones or Wi-Fi routers.

What are the advantages of using squared pulses and antennas in wireless communication?

There are several advantages to using squared pulses and antennas in wireless communication. One advantage is that squared pulses are digital signals, which means they can be easily processed and decoded by electronic devices. Additionally, antennas are relatively small and can be placed in various locations, making them useful for communication in different environments.

What are some common applications of squared pulses and antennas?

Squared pulses and antennas are used in a variety of applications, including wireless internet, cellular communication, and satellite communication. They are also used in remote control devices, radar systems, and Bluetooth technology.

Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using squared pulses and antennas?

One limitation of using squared pulses and antennas is that they are susceptible to interference and noise, which can affect the quality of the signal. Additionally, the range of squared pulses and antennas is limited, so they may not be suitable for long-distance communication without the use of repeaters or amplifiers.