What Are the Limitations of Rigid Motion in a Hilbert Plane?

In summary, any rigid motion in a Hilbert Plane that fixes at least three noncollinear points must be the identity, since no composition of translations, rotations, and reflections can fix only three points in the plane.
dismo
Working in a Hilbert plane, show that any rigid motion that fixes at least three noncollinear points must be the identity.

I am certain that I can claim that:
(i) any translation of the plane will fix none of the points
(ii) any rotation will fix a single point
(iii) any reflection will fix only the points on the line about which the plane is reflected

The trouble is I don't know how to prove that no composition of these could fix only three points in the plane...

Where do I go next?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm unfamiliar with the axioms of a Hilbert plane. If this question were posed in the context of an ordinary Euclidean plane, however, this is how I would approach it. Rigid motions preserve distances (i.e., the distance between points [tex] f(a) [/tex] and [tex] f(b) [/tex] is the same as that between [tex] a [/tex] and [tex] b [/tex], where [tex] f [/tex] is a rigid motion). Given a two points [tex] A [/tex] and [tex] B [/tex] and a third point [tex] X [/tex] not on [tex] \overline{AB} [/tex], there exists exactly one other point [tex] Y \neq X [/tex] such that [tex] d(A,Y) = d(A,X) [/tex] and [tex] d(B,Y) = d(B,X) [/tex] (where [tex] d(\; , \;) [/tex] denotes the distance function). Furthermore, [tex] Y = r_{AB}(X) [/tex], the reflection of [tex] X [/tex] about [tex] \overline{AB} [/tex]. If [tex] X [/tex] is on [tex] \overline{AB} [/tex], then [tex] X [/tex] is the unique point in the plane satisfying these equations. (Neither of these assertions is hard to prove.)

Let [tex] f [/tex] be a rigid motion fixing the three noncollinear points [tex] A,B,C [/tex]. From the last observation, we know that [tex] f [/tex] fixes all of [tex] \overline{AB}, \overline{AC} [/tex], and [tex] \overline{BC} [/tex]. Let [tex] X [/tex] be a point not on any of these lines. Suppose [tex] f(X) \neq X [/tex]; then, by distance conservation, we must have [tex] f(X) = r_{AB}(X) = r_{AC}(X) = r_{BC}(X) [/tex] simultaneously, a contradiction since (by assumption) [tex] \overline{AB} \neq \overline{AC} \neq \overline{BC} [/tex].

A Hilbert Plane is just a Euclidean Plane, but without the Parallel Axiom and the Circle–Circle Intersection Property.

So, yeah, your proof works.

Related to What Are the Limitations of Rigid Motion in a Hilbert Plane?

1. What is rigid motion in geometry?

Rigid motion in geometry refers to the movement of an object or shape in such a way that its size, shape, and orientation remain unchanged. This means that the object or shape maintains its original dimensions and all of its points remain the same relative to each other.

2. What are the different types of rigid motion?

The three types of rigid motion in geometry are translation, rotation, and reflection. Translation involves moving an object or shape from one location to another without changing its size, shape, or orientation. Rotation involves turning an object or shape around a fixed point, while reflection involves creating a mirror image of the object or shape.

3. How does rigid motion affect geometric figures?

Rigid motion has a significant impact on geometric figures because it helps us understand how figures can be transformed without changing their fundamental properties. It allows us to manipulate and analyze figures in different ways while maintaining their original characteristics, which is essential for solving many geometry problems.

4. How do you use rigid motion in problem-solving?

Rigid motion is a useful tool in geometry problem-solving because it allows us to identify and apply different transformations to figures to help us solve problems. For example, we can use translation to determine the location of a point or rotation to find the angle of a line. By understanding rigid motion, we can break down complex problems into simpler ones and make solutions more manageable.

5. What are some real-life applications of rigid motion?

Rigid motion has many practical applications in our daily lives, such as in architecture, engineering, and art. In architecture, rigid motion is used to design and construct buildings with precise measurements and dimensions. In engineering, it is used to create and analyze mechanisms and structures. In art, it is used to create symmetrical and visually appealing designs. Rigid motion is also utilized in video games and animation to create realistic movement and motion.