What are the reaction forces to the external forces on the wagon in (b)?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Morrissey
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


One or more external forces are exerted on each object enclosed in a dashed box shown in the figures below. Identify the reaction to each of these forces, assuming that (b) occurs on Earth. Select all that apply.
SDDrMtd.png


(b) the wagon exerts a force

· downward on the Earth due to contact
· downward on the Earth due to gravitational attraction
· upward on the Earth due to gravitational attraction
· upward to the left on the handle (?)
· upward on the Earth due to contact

(My choices in underline)
3. The Attempt at a Solution

The main question I have about this problem is whether the wagon exerts a force upwards to the left on the handle. I thought that the wagon would exert a force downwards to the left on the handle, but this isn't an answer choice, so I thought that selection would be a trick question.

Thanks in advance!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Morrissey, :welcome:

(better to keep one exercise per thread -- less confusing)

Thread 1: I think I agree with your thinking.

Thread 2: when ##m_1## is at rest, the maximum friction force is ##\mu_s N = \mu_s m_1 g##; you must first check if the driving force ##m_2 g## can exceed this.
 
Note: the second exercise has been removed from this thread. The OP is invited to post it in a separate thread.