What are the requirements for staff mentor?

• Thread starter Jewish_Vulcan
  • Start date
In summary: Zz.In summary, becoming a mentor on this forum requires a lot of time, patience, and dedication without any expectation of reward. Mentors are hand-picked from the userbase based on their knowledge, sensibility, and commitment to the forum's rules and guidelines. Expressing a desire to become a mentor does not increase the chances of being selected, as mentors are chosen based on their demonstrated expertise and contributions to the forum. Those who are offered the position often feel a sense of responsibility and commitment, as being a mentor involves not only answering questions but also shaping and running the forum. It is not a decision to be taken lightly, and it is not all fun and games. However, some individuals may accept the offer
Jewish_Vulcan
I like this forum, how do I become a mentor?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you have to basically be a masochist, totally willing to be incredibly patient with morons (and NEVER even think about pointing out that they are morons because we morons get our feeling hurt easily), willing to put in untold hours answering the same questions over and over and over and over and over and over an over ... and then over again, and of course you have to be willing to do it all for no pay and you have to put up with disgruntled newcomers to the site not liking your attitude. And that's not even MENTIONING the crackpots and having to keep an eye out for them.

I don't recommend it, but I sure am glad we have people here who are willing to do it. They keep this forum in the excellent state it is in.

Likes PWiz, Ryan_m_b, strangerep and 9 others
Mentors are hand-picked from the userbase after watching their postings, typically for years. There isn't really anything you can do to become one except make a lot of good posts for a long time, so you get noticed.

You have to demonstrate that you're knowledgeable by answering questions, show that you know the limits of your knowledge, and be a "good citizen" here: that is, you're aware of our rules and guidelines, treat other posters with respect, etc. And you have to stick around for a while. I think it was a couple of years or so before I was invited to become a Mentor.

We regularly look for candidates for the other honorary awards (Science Advisor and Homework Helper), but we usually look for a new Mentor only when we decide we need one, e.g. when a Mentor retires or when we see a need in a specific forum (in which case we usually want someone who has demonstrated expertise in that area).

Likes Jewish_Vulcan
As far as I can tell from years of being a mentor on here, we had never selected someone who had expressly stated that he/she wanted to be a mentor.

Zz.

Likes cristo and Borek
Ah, Z, you are always so encouraging :rolleyes: You'll have him giving up and then he'll become a wise-ass like me and the mods will have to tell him Bad Dog ! (well, that's what they tell ME). See, you're leading him down the wrong path.

Spock, maybe you'll be the first mod who didn't have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the position :D

ZapperZ said:
As far as I can tell from years of being a mentor on here, we had never selected someone who had expressly stated that he/she wanted to be a mentor.

Zz.
I believe that this tells us about the character of the people who expressly state that they want to be mentors.
Of course, if the OP has (or gains) enough knowledge, works on his character and manages to demonstrate both, then there is nothing preventing him from being picked as a mentor in the long term, is there ?

montadhar said:
I believe that this tells us about the character of the people who expressly state that they want to be mentors.
Of course, if the OP has (or gains) enough knowledge, works on his character and manages to demonstrate both, then there is nothing preventing him from being picked as a mentor in the long term, is there ?

I was merely stating a fact that I have observed.

People who were elected to become Mentors had no such motive on being here. They were simply minding their own business, they had ample knowledge in their area, had a sensibility that was apparent in their posts, and had the desire to offer their help without any ulterior motive on reaping a "reward" for those efforts. In fact, I would say that when I was first offered it, there was a sense of "dread", that it was a huge responsibility and commitment to not only maintain one's participation, but also the added burden of sharing in the running and shaping the forum. Anyone who thinks that being a mentor is all fun and games is living in a different parallel world than this one.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:

People who were elected to become Mentors had no such motive on being here. They were simply minding their own business, they had ample knowledge in their area, had a sensibility that was apparent in their posts, and had the desire to offer their help without any ulterior motive on reaping a "reward" for those efforts. In fact, I would say that when I was first offered it, there was a sense of "dread", that it was a huge responsibility and commitment to not only maintain one's participation, but also the added burden of sharing in the running and shaping the forum. Anyone who thinks that being a mentor is all fun and games is living in a different parallel world than this one.

Zz.
So, (on the danger of going off-topic, although I like to believe that the OP wants to know the answer as well) why did you decide to accept the offer ?

montadhar said:
So, (on the danger of going off-topic, although I like to believe that the OP wants to know the answer as well) why did you decide to accept the offer ?

I didn't... at least, not the first time Greg ask. But that Greg, he was persistent!

(BTW, that is not unusual that the invitation to be a mentor is turned down. Like I said, responsible, sensible people know that this is not something that can be taken lightly, that there's a whole zoo of responsibility and commitment that is required.)

I finally accepted it because I was convinced that I can contribute to influencing the policy and the running of the forum. In some ways, I hope that some of my blood, sweat, and tears are imbedded somewhere in this forum (so always wash your hands after touching things in here). The forum was evolving, and continue to evolve, and I wanted to cause a DNA mutation that hopefully was a favorable one. So that was why I bit the bullet and turned to the Dark Side.

:)

Zz.

Likes cnh1995 and Intrastellar
montadhar said:
There are many members that meet the criteria for being mentor, but the are not many mentor positions. There are many things we look for in a mentor, you can't just click off boxes and say, ok they met the requirements.

Evo said:
There are many members that meet the criteria for being mentor, but the are not many mentor positions. There are many things we look for in a mentor, you can't just click off boxes and say, ok they met the requirements.
Ahh, that is good to know! The OP does not have to worry about being a mentor to help the forum then!

Likes Evo
montadhar said:
Ahh, that is good to know! The OP does not have to worry about being a mentor to help the forum then!
The main point of forums are the discussions, and everyone can contribute there in the same way.
Some of the members ("mentors") have special rights to step in if something goes wrong, but in most threads this is not necessary.

Likes Intrastellar
The first rule of mentor club: you do not talk about mentor club...

Likes Greg Bernhardt and Evo
The second rule: "If you have to ask whether you can be a mentor, ..." :olduhh:

Likes strangerep and Evo
phinds said:
Spock, maybe you'll be the first mod who didn't have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the position

Nonsense. I wasn't kicking and screaming when they dragged me in. The chloroform took care of that.

Considering these posts, are you still willing to join such a scary club?:olduhh::biggrin:

cristo said:
The first rule of mentor club: you do not talk about mentor club...

Mark44 said:

Drakkith said:
Nonsense. I wasn't kicking and screaming when they dragged me in. The chloroform took care of that.
Evo said:
There are many members that meet the criteria for being mentor, but the are not many mentor positions.

So first step is to empty a mentor position?:olduhh:

Likes cristo, Drakkith and Greg Bernhardt
ZapperZ said:
ZapperZ said:
bold by me

Hence the reason you were such a great mentor.

Mark44 said:
Yeah.

Actually, the OP reminds me of when I was summoned for jury duty some years ago. Most of the potential jurors didn't want to be selected, and just wanted to go back to their regular jobs. But there was this one guy... really keen to be on a jury. When the court clerk read out his number he jumped out of his seat, all eager with anticipation. But the 2 opposing lawyers looked at each other silently, and then agreed that this guy should not be selected.

To me mentors are people who build this forum, It does not sound like a bad position to be in. I would eagerly accept being a mentor if I had enough physics knowledge. The reason I wanted to know was not so I can instantly become a mentor but so I could prepare for being one. In order for a vulcan to learn the mindmeld he cannot simply ask, he must learn the ways first.

A logical way for convincing me not to want to be a mentor would to state what is to be gained and what is to be lost.

Jewish_Vulcan said:
A logical way for convincing me not to want to be a mentor would to state what is to be gained and what is to be lost.
Being a PF Mentor is like being one of the Beatles. We have have millions of science geeks crowding the streets to see us. The downside of being a PF Mentor is when you wake up :D jk Being a Mentor rocks! :D

Likes Jewish_Vulcan
Jewish_Vulcan said:
You can certainly want to be a mentor, no one here is trying to stop you from wishing for something. Wish all you want. :)

Jewish_Vulcan said:
To me mentors are people who build this forum, It does not sound like a bad position to be in. I would eagerly accept being a mentor if I had enough physics knowledge. The reason I wanted to know was not so I can instantly become a mentor but so I could prepare for being one. In order for a vulcan to learn the mindmeld he cannot simply ask, he must learn the ways first.
Excellent point.

Evo said:
You can certainly want to be a mentor, no one here is trying to stop you from wishing for something. Wish all you want. :)
I do not "wish" it is illogical. I do.

@Jewish_Vulcan : No one is trying to convince you to not be a mentor.
If you want to be a mentor, you should start by following the above advices of very established mentors here.
russ_watters said:
Mentors are hand-picked from the userbase after watching their postings, typically for years. There isn't really anything you can do to become one except make a lot of good posts for a long time, so you get noticed.

jtbell said:
You have to demonstrate that you're knowledgeable by answering questions, show that you know the limits of your knowledge, and be a "good citizen" here: that is, you're aware of our rules and guidelines, treat other posters with respect, etc. And you have to stick around for a while. I think it was a couple of years or so before I was invited to become a Mentor.

ZapperZ said:
People who were elected to become Mentors had no such motive on being here. They were simply minding their own business, they had ample knowledge in their area, had a sensibility that was apparent in their posts, and had the desire to offer their help without any ulterior motive on reaping a "reward" for those efforts.

Zz.

Jewish_Vulcan said:
I do not "wish" it is illogical. I do.
I see, you're just joking around. Anyway, for anyone wondering, the question has been answered. :)

1. What is the role of a staff mentor?

A staff mentor is responsible for guiding and supporting the professional and personal development of their mentee, who is typically a newer or less experienced employee. They provide guidance, resources, and advice to help their mentee succeed in their role and career.

2. What qualifications are needed to become a staff mentor?

To become a staff mentor, one typically needs to have significant experience and expertise in their field or industry. They should also possess strong interpersonal and communication skills, as well as a desire to help others grow and develop.

3. How are staff mentors selected?

The process for selecting staff mentors varies depending on the organization. Some may have a formal application process, while others may be chosen by management or by the mentee themselves. In most cases, mentors are chosen based on their experience, skills, and availability to commit to the mentoring relationship.

4. What are the expectations for a staff mentor?

The expectations for a staff mentor include being available and accessible to their mentee, providing guidance and support, and maintaining confidentiality. They should also be willing to share their knowledge and experiences, and provide constructive feedback to help their mentee grow.

5. How long does a staff mentoring relationship typically last?

The duration of a staff mentoring relationship can vary, but it is typically expected to last for at least 6 months to a year. However, some mentor-mentee relationships may continue longer if both parties find it beneficial. It is important for mentors and mentees to regularly reassess and communicate about the duration and goals of their relationship.