What are the restrictions for s and how to find them in Laplace transform?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transform
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solution of the equation y'(x)+5y(x)=e^{-x} with given initial conditions, using the Laplace transform. The discussion includes finding restrictions for s, decomposing Y(s) using partial fractions, and determining the inverse Laplace transform of Y(s). The conversation also touches on the singularities of the Laplace transform and the final representation of Y(s) in terms of inverse Laplace transforms.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! :D
I have to find the solution of the equation [tex] y'(x)+5y(x)=e^{-x} , 0<x<\infty , y(0)=2 [/tex] , using the Laplace transform.
That's what I have done so far:
$$L\{y'(x)+5y(x)\}=L\{e^{-x}\}$$
$$L\{y'(x)\}+5L\{y(x)\}=L\{e^{-x}\}$$
$$sY(s)-y(0)+5Y(s)=\frac{1}{s+1}$$
$$Y(s)=\frac{2s+3}{(s+1)(s+5)}$$

But...which are the restrictions for s?How can I find them? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Question-Laplace trasform

I'm not sure what you mean by restrictions on $s$.

But the next step would be to decompose $Y(s)$ using partial fractions in order to find the inverse Laplace transform of $Y(s)$ (i.e., y(x)).

Random Variable said:
I'm not sure what you mean by restrictions on $s$.

But the next step would be to decompose $Y(s)$ using partial fractions to find the inverse Laplace transform of $Y(s)$ (i.e., y(x)).

Should [tex](s+1)(s+5)[/tex] be greater than [tex]0[/tex]?

evinda said:
Should [tex](s+1)(s+5)[/tex] be greater than [tex]0[/tex]?

I found that [tex]Y(s)=\frac{1}{4}\frac{1}{s+1}+\frac{7}{4}\frac{1}{s+5}[/tex].

But,before that,do I have to write what $s $should satisfy?

Then you would probably want the real part of $s$ to be greater than $-1$ so that both ILT exist.

Random Variable said:
Then you would probably want the real part of $s$ to be greater than $-1$ so that both ILT exist.

And how can I explain it,why it should be like that? :confused:

You can tell by where the LT has singularities.

Otherwise notice that the Laplace transform of $\displaystyle e^{-x}$ is $ \displaystyle \frac{1}{s+1}$.

But $ \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-x} e^{-sx} \ dx = \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-(1+s) x} \ dx $ converges only when $s > -1 $.Similarly the Laplace transform of $e^{-5x}$ is $\displaystyle \frac{1}{s+5}$.

But $ \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-5x} e^{-sx} \ dx = \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-(5+s) x} \ dx $ converges only when $s > -5 $.So if you want both transforms to exist at the same time, then $s$ should be greater than $-1$.

Last edited:

Random Variable said:
You can tell by where the ILT has singularities.

Otherwise notice that the Laplace transform of $\displaystyle e^{-x}$ is $ \displaystyle \frac{1}{s+1}$.

But $ \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-x} e^{-sx} \ dx - \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-(1+s) x} \ dx $ converges only when $s > -1 $.Similarly the Laplace transform of $e^{-5x}$ is $\displaystyle \frac{1}{s+5}$.

But $ \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-5x} e^{-sx} \ dx - \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-(5+s) x} \ dx $ converges only when $s > -5 $.So if you want both transforms to exist at the same time, then $s$ (or technically the real part of $s$) should be greater than $-1$.
I understand..thanks for your answer!And $\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-(1+s) x} \ dx $ is equal to $\left [\frac{e^{-(s+1)x}}{-(s+1)} \right ]_{0}^{M},M\to \infty=\frac{1}{s+1} $ .Right?

Yes.

And those minus signs in my previous post should be equal signs.

Random Variable said:
Yes.

And those minus signs in my previous post should be equal signs.

Nice..Thank you very much! :)

I have also an other question.Do we conclude that $Y(s)=\frac{1}{4}L\{y_{1}(x)\}+\frac{7}{4}L\{y_{2}(x)\}$ ,or is $\frac{1}{4}L\{y_{1}(x)\}+\frac{7}{4}L\{y_{2}(x)\}$ equal to Y(x) or something else? :confused::confused:

evinda said:
I have also an other question.Do we conclude that $Y(s)=\frac{1}{4}L\{y_{1}(x)\}+\frac{7}{4}L\{y_{2}(x)\}$ ,or is $\frac{1}{4}L\{y_{1}(x)\}+\frac{7}{4}L\{y_{2}(x)\}$ equal to Y(x) or something else? :confused::confused:

Or,is it like that $$Y(s)=\frac{1}{4}L\{y_{1}(x)\}+\frac{7}{4}L\{y_{2}(x)\}$$
$$L^{-1}\{Y(s)\}=L^{-1}\{\frac{1}{4}L\{y_{1}(x)\}+\frac{7}{4}L\{y_{2}(x)\}\}$$ ??

evinda said:

evinda said:
Or,is it like that $$Y(s)=\frac{1}{4}L\{y_{1}(x)\}+\frac{7}{4}L\{y_{2}(x)\}$$
$$L^{-1}\{Y(s)\}=L^{-1}\{\frac{1}{4}L\{y_{1}(x)\}+\frac{7}{4}L\{y_{2}(x)\}\}$$ ??

Let's pick
$$y(x) = \mathcal L^{-1}\{Y(s)\} = \frac{1}{4}\mathcal L^{-1}\left\{\frac 1 {s+1}\right\}+\frac{7}{4}\mathcal L^{-1}\left\{\frac 1 {s+5}\right\}$$

I like Serena said:
Let's pick
$$y(x) = \mathcal L^{-1}\{Y(s)\} = \frac{1}{4}\mathcal L^{-1}\left\{\frac 1 {s+1}\right\}+\frac{7}{4}\mathcal L^{-1}\left\{\frac 1 {s+5}\right\}$$

I understand..Thank you very much! :eek:

1. What is the Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to analyze and solve differential equations. It transforms a function of time into a function of complex frequency, making it easier to solve complex problems in engineering, physics, and other fields.

2. How does the Laplace Transform work?

The Laplace Transform is defined as an integral from 0 to infinity of a function multiplied by an exponential term. This integral produces a function of complex frequency, which can then be manipulated algebraically to solve for the original function in the time domain.

3. What are the advantages of using the Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform allows for the solution of differential equations that are difficult or impossible to solve using other methods. It also simplifies the process of solving complex systems of equations and can be used to analyze systems with variable parameters.

4. What are the limitations of the Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform can only be used for linear systems, meaning the equations must be linear in both the dependent and independent variables. It also assumes that the system is stable, meaning the output will not grow to infinity for any finite input.

5. How is the Laplace Transform used in real-world applications?

The Laplace Transform is used in various fields such as control systems, signal processing, and circuit analysis. It is also often used in physics and engineering to study the behavior of systems and to design solutions for complex problems.