What are the stresses at point A in a combined loading problem?

• Thread starter Double A
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of various stresses and forces on a rod based on applied loads and geometry. The summary includes calculations for axial stress, bending stress, torsional shear stress, and shear stress caused by a planar shear force. The conversation also addresses the calculation of the neutral axis and the contribution of the planar shear force to the total shear stress at a specific point on the rod.
Double A

Homework Statement

See attachment.

Homework Equations

[tex]A = \pi r^2[/tex]

[tex]I_x = I_z = \frac{\pi}{4}r^4[/tex]

[tex]J = \frac{\pi}{2}r^4 = 2I_x[/tex]

[tex]Q = \Sigma A_i y_i[/tex]

[tex]\sigma_{Axial} = \frac{P}{A}[/tex]

[tex]\sigma_{Bending} = \frac{Mc}{I}[/tex]

[tex]\tau_{Shear} = \frac{VQ}{Tt}[/tex]

[tex]\tau_{Torque} = \frac{Tr}{J}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I moved the applied forces to the location at point A with the corresponding moments and torques caused by the applied loads giving me the following values:

[tex]A = \pi(0.75in)^2 = 1.77 in^2[/tex]

[tex]I_x = I_z = \frac{\pi}{4}(0.75 in)^4 = 0.249 in^4[/tex]

[tex]J = 2(0.249 in^4) = 0.497 in^4[/tex]

[tex]M_x = (800lbs)(10in) = 8 kips-in[/tex]

[tex]M_y = T = (800lbs)(14in) = 11.2 kips-in[/tex]

[tex]M_z = (500lbs)(14in) = 7 kips-in[/tex]

[tex]\sigma_{Axial} = \frac{500 lbs}{1.77 in^2} = 282.9 psi[/tex]

[tex]\sigma_{Bending} = \frac{(7 kips-in)(0.75 in)}{0.249 in^4} = 21.1 ksi[/tex]

[tex]\tau_{Torque} = \frac{(11.2 kips-in)(0.75 in)}{0.497 in^4} = 16.9 ksi[/tex]

Now I am not sure if the shear force has an affect on point A. If it does then how would you go about finding Q? I know that point A is on the x-axis and at the left edge of the rod. At this point I think the shear force does not cause a shear stress. Also the moment produced around the x-axis does not cause a normal stress because point A is on the centroid for the x-axis.

Now assuming what I have stated above is true then the only stresses acting at A are normal stresses in the y-direction and shear stresses in the y-z plane.

So then,

[tex]\sigma_y = \sigma_{Axial} + \sigma_{Bending} = 282.9 psi + 21.1 ksi = 21.4 ksi[/tex]

[tex]\tau_{yz} = \tau_{Torque} = 16.9 ksi[/tex]

So I guess what I want to know is does the shear force cause a shear stress and am I also accounting for all the elements that cause a normal stress or shear stress at point A?

Attachments

• Prob_3.JPG
    Prob_3.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 610
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your calc for the normal stesses at point A looks very good. However, for the shear stress at that point, you must also add the contribution from the 800 pound planar shear force to the torsional shear stress. The shear stress from the 800 pound force is maximum at this point. Q can be calculated as the area above the neutral axis times the distance from the c.g of that area to the neutral axis. The contribution to the total shear stress however will be small in comparison to the torsional shear stress.

So your saying that the shear force does apply a shear stress at location A.

I have attached a graphic of how I have my reactions acting at point A. Looking at this I don't see how the shear force would apply a shear stress. In the equation for the shear stress by a shear force include a thickness. The only thickness that I can see is the diameter of the circle since I'll be taking half the area of the circle for my Q calculation. Carrying out the calculations would result in the following:

[tex]Q = \frac{\pi r^2}{2}*\frac{4r}{3\pi} = \frac{2r^3}{3} = \frac{2(0.75 in)^3}{3} = 0.281 in^3[/tex]

So now the shear stress is:

[tex]\tau_{Shear} = \frac{(800 lbs)(0.281 in^3}{(0.249 in^4)2(0.75 in)} = 601.9 psi[/tex]

So then my total shear stress at point A would be:

[tex]\tau_{Total} = \tau_{Torque} + \tau_{Shear} = 16.9 ksi + 601.9 psi = 17.5 ksi[/tex]

Attachments

• a_reactions.JPG
    a_reactions.JPG
    7.7 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:
Double A said:
So your saying that the shear force does apply a shear stress at location A.

I have attached a graphic of how I have my reactions acting at point A. Looking at this I don't see how the shear force would apply a shear stress. In the equation for the shear stress by a shear force include a thickness. The only thickness that I can see is the diameter of the circle since I'll be taking half the area of the circle for my Q calculation. Carrying out the calculations would result in the following:

[tex]Q = \frac{\pi r^2}{2}*\frac{4r}{3\pi} = \frac{2r^3}{3} = \frac{2(0.75 in)^3}{3} = 0.281 in^3[/tex]

So now the shear stress is:

[tex]\tau_{Shear} = \frac{(800 lbs)(0.281 in^3}{(0.249 in^4)2(0.75 in)} = 601.9 psi[/tex]

So then my total shear stress at point A would be:

[tex]\tau_{Total} = \tau_{Torque} + \tau_{Shear} = 16.9 ksi + 601.9 psi = 17.5 ksi[/tex]
That's correct. When calculating the vertical shear stress at a given point on the section, use the horizontal thickness across the section through that point, which is, in this case, the diameter. As a quick check, you can calculate the average vertical shear stress across the section , which is simply V/A = 452 psi, always less than the max shear stress which generally for a symmetrical section occurs at the neutral axis.

Thanks for the help. I think I now see how it all comes together.

What is a combined loading problem?

A combined loading problem refers to a situation where a structural element is subjected to multiple types of loads, such as tension, compression, bending, and shear. These loads can act simultaneously or sequentially, and the resulting stress and deformation in the element must be analyzed to ensure its structural integrity.

Why is it important to solve combined loading problems?

Solving combined loading problems is crucial in structural engineering as it helps in designing safe and efficient structures. By understanding the stress and deformation caused by various types of loads, engineers can ensure that the structure can withstand the expected loads and prevent failure.

How is a combined loading problem solved?

A combined loading problem is typically solved using the principles of mechanics of materials and structural analysis. This involves calculating the internal forces and moments in the element due to each type of load, and then using these values to determine the resulting stress and deformation.

What are the challenges in solving combined loading problems?

One of the main challenges in solving combined loading problems is that the stress and deformation in the element are not always additive. This means that the combined effect of multiple loads may not simply be the sum of the individual effects. Additionally, the geometry and material properties of the element may also affect the solution.

What are some real-world applications of combined loading problems?

Combined loading problems are encountered in various engineering fields, such as civil, mechanical, and aerospace engineering. They are relevant in the design of buildings, bridges, aircraft, and other structures that are subjected to multiple types of loads. Understanding and solving combined loading problems is essential in ensuring the safety and functionality of these structures.