What are the variables in the deflection equation for a cantilever beam?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
jhwatts
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I need some help. I writing up a lab report and I am not sure how to define the equtaion i took down in my notes.

deflection = (4F/Ebh^3) * L

Im not sure if this is the right eqution.
If so can some one please tell me what the varibales: E, b, F and h are.

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I imagine F = force or load, E = Elastic or Young's modulus.

L is probably length, but the maximum deflection is proportional to the cube of the length.

b might be thickness (lateral), and h might be height.

What is the cross-section and how does one calculate the moment of inertia for this cross-section?
 
You're in the wrong place. Delete this and put it in the homework section.
 
Come on... jesus, b-base h-height L-length.

If you don't know what F and E are...sad.

b.t.w. bh^3 looks a lot like MOAI to me.
 
Last edited: