1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the x and y components of the velocity of the CM of the two bodies?

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Body A of mass 3 kg is moving int he x+ direction with a speed of 14 m/s. Body B of mass 4 kg is moving in the -y direction with a speed of 7 m/s. What are the x and y-components of the velocity of the CM of the two bodies?

The answer is (6m/s,-4m/s).
    2. Relevant equations

CMx=m1x1x+m2x2/m1+m2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not getting the answer when I enter the figures into the equation. Is this the right equation? Please help it seems simple once I get the right equation.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2009 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It seems from the solution that the 3Kg and 4kg blocks are reversed. Body A appears to be 4 kg, and Body B appears to be 3 kg.

4. Nov 17, 2009 #3
    I'm still confused so if they are reversed can I ask what equation would I use to calculate x and y components?

5. Nov 17, 2009 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The coordinates of the CM in case of two bodies:

[tex]x(CM)=\frac{x_1m_1+x_2m_2}{m_1+m_2}[/tex]

[tex]y(CM)=\frac{y_1m_1+y_2m_2}{m_1+m_2}[/tex]

The same holds for the components of velocity:

[tex]V_x(CM)=\frac{v_{x1}m_1+v_{x2}m_2}{m_1+m_2}[/tex]

[tex]V_y(CM)=\frac{v_{y1}m_1+v_{y2}m_2}{m_1+m_2}[/tex]

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook