What are the x and y components of the velocity of the CM of the two bodies?

In summary, the problem involves two bodies, A and B, with masses of 3 kg and 4 kg respectively. Body A is moving in the positive x direction with a speed of 14 m/s, while Body B is moving in the negative y direction with a speed of 7 m/s. The question asks for the x and y components of the velocity of the center of mass (CM) of the two bodies. Using the equations for calculating the coordinates and components of velocity of the CM, we can determine that the answer is (6 m/s, -4 m/s). It should be noted that the body labels may have been reversed in the given solution.
jayced

Homework Statement

Body A of mass 3 kg is moving int he x+ direction with a speed of 14 m/s. Body B of mass 4 kg is moving in the -y direction with a speed of 7 m/s. What are the x and y-components of the velocity of the CM of the two bodies?

The answer is (6m/s,-4m/s).

Homework Equations

CMx=m1x1x+m2x2/m1+m2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not getting the answer when I enter the figures into the equation. Is this the right equation? Please help it seems simple once I get the right equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems from the solution that the 3Kg and 4kg blocks are reversed. Body A appears to be 4 kg, and Body B appears to be 3 kg.

I'm still confused so if they are reversed can I ask what equation would I use to calculate x and y components?

The coordinates of the CM in case of two bodies:

[tex]x(CM)=\frac{x_1m_1+x_2m_2}{m_1+m_2}[/tex]

[tex]y(CM)=\frac{y_1m_1+y_2m_2}{m_1+m_2}[/tex]

The same holds for the components of velocity:

[tex]V_x(CM)=\frac{v_{x1}m_1+v_{x2}m_2}{m_1+m_2}[/tex]

[tex]V_y(CM)=\frac{v_{y1}m_1+v_{y2}m_2}{m_1+m_2}[/tex]

ehild

1. What do the x and y components of the velocity of the CM represent?

The x and y components of the velocity of the CM represent the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity of the center of mass of the two bodies, respectively. These components describe the direction and magnitude of the movement of the center of mass.

2. How are the x and y components of the velocity of the CM calculated?

The x and y components of the velocity of the CM can be calculated using the formula: Vx = (m1vx1 + m2vx2)/(m1 + m2) and Vy = (m1vy1 + m2vy2)/(m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two bodies, and vx1, vx2, vy1, and vy2 are the x and y components of the velocities of the individual bodies, respectively.

3. Why is it important to know the x and y components of the velocity of the CM?

Knowing the x and y components of the velocity of the CM is important because it allows us to understand the overall motion of the two bodies and predict their future positions. It also helps in analyzing the forces acting on the bodies and their interactions with each other.

4. Can the x and y components of the velocity of the CM change over time?

Yes, the x and y components of the velocity of the CM can change over time if there are external forces acting on the two bodies. These components can also change if the masses or velocities of the individual bodies change.

5. How do the x and y components of the velocity of the CM relate to the total velocity of the two bodies?

The x and y components of the velocity of the CM are just two parts of the total velocity of the two bodies. The total velocity can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem as V = √(Vx^2 + Vy^2). This means that the magnitude of the total velocity is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the x and y components of the velocity of the CM.