Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are vector/tensors operators in QM or in general any vector space

1. Jun 8, 2012 #1
    I am interested in knowing that in QM what vector/tensor operators are? In fact how do they differ from scalar operators?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2012 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

A vector or tensor operator is a set of operators, such that when you perform a rotation they go into linear combinations of each other, the same way that the components of a vector or tensor do. Thus angular momentum J is a set of three operators Jx, Jy, Jz. Under a rotation about the z axis,
    Jz' = Jz, Jx' = Jx cos θ + Jy sin θ,

Jy' = Jy cos θ - Jx sin θ.

Note this says nothing about any commutation relations that the operators might have.

4. Jun 8, 2012 #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

In fact, there are some commutation relations, following from the fact that [itex]\hat{V}_j[/itex] are vector operators (you can generalize the following for tensor operators of any rank), namely those with angular-momentum operators:

[tex][\hat{J}_k,\hat{V}_l]=\mathrm{i} \epsilon_{klm} V_m.[/tex]

This is, because of the transformation relations you've just given, because rotations are generated by the angular-momentum operators. A rotation is given by the unitary transformation

[tex]\hat{U}(\vec{\varphi})=\exp(\mathrm{i} \hat{\vec{J}} \cdot \vec{\varphi}).[/tex]

The rotation is given by

[tex]\hat{\vec{V}}'=\hat{U}(\vec{\varphi}) \hat{\vec{V}} \hat{U}^{\dagger}(\vec{\varphi}).
    [/tex]

5. Jun 8, 2012 #4

Bill_K

Science Advisor

What I meant was, commutation relations may or may not exist among the operators themselves. I used the J's as an example of a vector operator, and they have the SO(3) commutators typical of angular momentum, but three operators which mutually commute could have been used instead.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook