What are you reading now? (STEM only)

• Other
  • Thread starter Demystifier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reading
  • Featured
In summary, D. J. Tritton's "Physical Fluid Dynamics" is a book that he likes for its structure, beginning with phenomenology before delving into the equations. He also likes the book for its inclusion of experimental results throughout. He recently read J. MacCormick's "Nine Algorithms That Changed the Future" and found it to be very readable. Lastly, he is reading S. Weinberg's "Gravitation and Kosmologie" and Zee's "Gravitation".
Physics news on Phys.org
Demystifier said:
According to Amazon, it is not released yet. :oldconfused:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0198797249/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I'm from the fuuuuuuture...!

DSC_4088_zpsrgv2geg9.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_4088_zpsrgv2geg9.jpg
    DSC_4088_zpsrgv2geg9.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 999
Likes haushofer, atyy, Auto-Didact and 2 others
Andy Resnick said:
I'm from the fuuuuuuture...!
Can you send me a copy of H. Chiung, The History of Time Travel (Mars University Press, Mars City, 2410)?

Likes dRic2, TSny and Andy Resnick
I'm reading Robert Ghrist's Elementary Applied Topology.

Likes Demystifier
I'm rereading S. S. Schweber, QED and the men who made it

Likes Demystifier
I am reading now "Computers Ltd.: What They Really Can't Do" by David Harel.

Likes Demystifier
Just finished:
1) Quantum Mechanics and Experience, by David Z Albert
2) The Illustrated A Brief History of Time, by Stephen Hawking

Likes Demystifier
Just reading
Physics from Symmetry - 2nd (corrected) edition.
I couldn`t resist 50% price reduction for all physics ebooks offered by Springer through April 24.

Likes vanhees71, dextercioby, Demystifier and 1 other person
Feynman lectures volume 2

Likes vanhees71 and Demystifier
1) Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions is a satirical novella by the English schoolmaster Edwin Abbott Abbott, first published in 1884 by Seeley & Co. of London.
Very interesting thought provoking historical novel that illustrates creation of higher dimensions.

2) Hyperspace: Our Final Frontier by John Gribbin © 2001
Just a little outdated because of all the new cosmological data out since 2001.

Just finished "Letters to a Young Mathematician" by Ian Stewart. Fictional correspondences to an aspiring math student from her mentor from HS through a tenured university position. What math is and why it is worth doing. Advice on challenges and how to succeed with some of the mentors personal experiences in those regards. Also a good read for aspiring physicists. Delightful!

The curious lives of human cadavers by Mary roach.

How To Lie With Statistics by Darrell Huff

Likes Demystifier
Just finished (and recommendable):
- The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They Communicate – Discoveries from a Secret World, by Peter Wohlleben (link)
- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind, by Yuval Noah Harari (link)

Reading right now (and recommendable):
- Other Minds: The Octopus, the Sea, and the Deep Origins of Consciousness, by Peter Godfrey-Smith (link)
- This Is Your Brain on Parasites: How Tiny Creatures Manipulate Our Behavior and Shape Society, by Kathleen McAuliffe (link)

Thinking about reading in the near future:
- She Has Her Mother's Laugh: The Powers, Perversions, and Potential of Heredity, by Carl Zimmer (link)
- Human Errors: A Panorama of Our Glitches, from Pointless Bones to Broken Genes, by Nathan H. Lents (link)
- Minds Make Societies: How Cognition Explains the World Humans Create, by Pascal Boyer (link)

If anybody could recommend (or discourage) these above three 'want to reads', or recommend a new book that would lie within my broad field of interest, that would be much appreciated! :wink:

I'm also interested in the (Kopenhagen) interpretation of quantum mechanics. Should I read:
- Many Worlds in One: The Search for Other Universes, by Alex Vilenkin (link), or
- Many Worlds? Everett, Quantum Theory, and Reality by Simon Saunders (link), or something else?

Last edited:
Likes Demystifier
mark! said:
I'm also interested in the (Kopenhagen) interpretation of quantum mechanics. Should I read:
- Many Worlds in One: The Search for Other Universes, by Alex Vilenkin (link), or
- Many Worlds? Everett, Quantum Theory, and Reality by Simon Saunders (link), or something else?
The first book is not about interpretations of QM.
The second book is about an interpretation of QM, but not about the Copenhagen interpretation.

Likes mark!
Artin: Abstract Algebra.
Shilov: Elementary Real and Complex Analysis.
Sterling berberian: Linear Algebra.
Feynman: Surely you're Joking.

Likes Demystifier
Human labor and birth, 6th Ed.

mark! said:
Now you've made me curious. Why do chemical reactions occur?

Well then, get thee to a library :) The worldcat citation should be of assistance.

or if you prefer:

https://www.betterworldbooks.com/product/detail/Why-do-chemical-reactions-occur--9780139587283

or

https://www.alibris.com/booksearch?keyword=Why+do+chemical+reactions+occur%3F&mtype=B&hs.x=26&hs.y=22&hs=Submit

It is a slim volume, but in no way is it 'popular science'. It is technical and a bit dry and and also details the reasoning related to how the relevant conclusions are reached.

There are some math and formulas, but they are not overwhelming. Just what is necessary to illuminate the explained and derived principles.

Highly recommended.

Best of luck,
diogenesNY

@diogenesNY Order has been placed! Thanks for the recommendation.

diogenesNY said:
There are some math and formulas, but they are not overwhelming. Just what is necessary to illuminate the explained and derived principles.
Is there some quantum chemistry in it?

Demystifier said:
Is there some quantum chemistry in it?

I think that is a bit beyond the scope of this fairly introductory book, although I may be getting tripped up on definitions (as is won't to happen).

A quote from the last chapter of the book - before a brief discussion of energy, randomness and thermodynamics:
-----
We have now answered the question "Why do chemical reactions oc-
cur?" in terms of the kinetic theory, random collision processes, varying
bond strengths, and various possible states. We have used qualitative de-
scription almost entirely. We certainly have not discussed how the de-
composition of wood and the synthesis of wood can both occur, or how
the rusting of iron and the reclamation of iron from iron oxide also both
occur. Clearly we must do more than talk in generalities concerning the
tendency to equilibrium if we are to discuss intelligently such actions which
clearly are going in opposite directions and toward obviously different
final states. In order to be more quantitative and to treat such systems with
some success, we shall use the language of thermodynamics,
-------

You can find a digital copy of the book here:

https://archive.org/details/WhyDoChemicalReactionsOccur

diogenesNY

Likes Demystifier
Systems of Linear Inequalities by Solodovnikov. It's one of the Little Mathematics Library books published years ago in the USSR by Mir Publishers. IMO this is a good series of books for someone wanting a basic introduction to certain math topics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Electron Transport in Semiconductors (Jacaboni), and Quantum Transport in Semiconductors (Ferry).

Both very excellent books

Karadra said:
Richard Dawkins - The Greatest Show On Earth
One of his better, more science focused book. He tends often go on about his anti-religious antics from time to time, that even shows up sometimes in his books. Which I don't care about in my opinion, I don't practice a belief system. But for those, like me who just wants to gobble up in science and/or biology in general. This is a great book.

Yes this is a good one, Ancestors Tale is also very accessible but detailed enough to make you want to re-read a couple of chapters.

The religion issue was pertinent because most of his books discuss the evidence, mechanisms and studies regarding the Theory of Evolution. These discussions have to involve counter arguments from the creationist side since that is where the main objections to evolution come from. The creationist arguments almost always have a religious connection, there is no getting round that.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
Just finished The Strange Theory of Light and Matter- Feynman

I watched these lectures on YT too.

Next up "In search of cell history." Franklin Harold

gleem said:
Mathematical Problem Solving - Alan H. Schoenfeld

The author is a mathematician who in 1975 upon reading George Polya's book "How to Solve It" (1945) noted how much in the book was what he did in problem solving. He wonder why he was not taught these strategies but had to learn them for himself. He raised the questions what does it mean to "think mathematically" and How can we help students to do it? He states the book's focus is the framework for the analysis of complex problem solving behavior. The book reviews his analysis of studies of actual problem solving sessions forming the basis of his subsequent work in math education.

I like Polya's book.

I also like this one for physics: General Methods for Solving Physics Problems, by B.S. Belikov. (Mir Publishers, 1989).

Here are two good ones by Anthony Buzan: Use Both Sides of Your Brain, and Use Your Perfect Memory. Both have helped me in general, including in problem solving ability.

• Informative
Likes andresB and K Murty
"Theory of Ionospheric waves," by Yeh and Liu. I wish I had read it in grad school, when I was in that field.

"The Molecular Mechanism of Photoreception"
H. Stieve, Editor
Dahlem Konferenzen, Berlin 1984