What are your thoughts on what it takes to be an Engineer?

In summary: ThanksI think being an engineer is more a question of hard work and attention to detail than mathematical aptitude. In a day-to-day engineering job, you'd probably be surprised how *little* math is actually used!That said, you *do* have to finish a degree, which typically means getting through three semesters of calculus, a semester of linear algebra, and a semester of differential equations. I'd worry a bit if I was just barely squeaking by in calc 3, but other than that, you should be OK.If you really want to be an engineer and don't have any *major* problems with math, hard work will probably be enough to make that happen."Engine
octavian1618
I am 18 years old and really wanting to become a engineer, But I feel I may not have the mathematical aptitude for it.

In your experiences can anyone become a good engineer, as long as they put in the time required?

I believe that I am creative, hard working and quite enthusiastic about learning, I am also interested in art, that is design and illustration.

I am aware you don't know how intelligent I actually am, so If I can do calc 3 would that be a good indicator that I can get a b.s in engineering? I am currently doing khan academy and planning on just getting my math up to calc 3 before I register for a b.s.

I would enjoy hearing what you guys think about this.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think being an engineer is more a question of hard work and attention to detail than mathematical aptitude. In a day-to-day engineering job, you'd probably be surprised how *little* math is actually used!

That said, you *do* have to finish a degree, which typically means getting through three semesters of calculus, a semester of linear algebra, and a semester of differential equations. I'd worry a bit if I was just barely squeaking by in calc 3, but other than that, you should be OK.

If you really want to be an engineer and don't have any *major* problems with math, hard work will probably be enough to make that happen.

"Engineer" is very wide job description. Within the company I work for, there are engineers who use grad-school-level math every working day, and others whose most challenging math task is probably getting the hours on their weekly timesheet to add up.

Both sorts are equally valuable for doing different types of work, and they probably get equally well paid if they are good at what they do.

On the other hand, you need to be comfortable with math the get a degree in any engineering discipline, and without a degree you won't get anywhere, except by extreme good luck or having some very influential family members.

octavian1618 said:
I am 18 years old and really wanting to become a engineer, But I feel I may not have the mathematical aptitude for it.

In your experiences can anyone become a good engineer, as long as they put in the time required?
It depends on what one does while 'putting in the time required'. Proficiency in mathematics and analysis is important,,as is diligence. Knowledge is another factor.

I believe that I am creative, hard working and quite enthusiastic about learning, I am also interested in art, that is design and illustration.

I am aware you don't know how intelligent I actually am, so If I can do calc 3 would that be a good indicator that I can get a b.s in engineering? I am currently doing khan academy and planning on just getting my math up to calc 3 before I register for a b.s.
One could be a designer or draftsperson, e.g., industrial designer, which is not the same as engineering.

Engineering is more or less applied physics. There are many analytical tools (software) that make engineering easier, and one could be an analyst and simply enter data, process the results, and write reports. But there is usually more than that. One could perform studies, but that requires some understanding of the system and components that go beyond data entry and analysis.

Top engineers push the edge on technology and innovate, and other engineers develop the theory in order to enable new things or develop better methods and process. Engineering in this sense is more like applied physics. The challenge is always to do better and push the envelope.

for sharing your thoughts and interest in engineering! I believe that becoming an engineer requires a combination of skills, including strong mathematical aptitude, critical thinking, problem-solving, and creativity. However, I also believe that these skills can be developed and improved upon with dedication and hard work. While some individuals may have a natural inclination towards certain subjects, I believe that anyone can become a good engineer as long as they are willing to put in the time and effort to learn and improve.

As for your specific situation, having an interest in art and design can actually be a valuable asset in engineering, as it involves a lot of creativity and visualization. Additionally, if you are able to do well in calculus 3, that could be a good indicator of your mathematical aptitude and potential for success in an engineering program.

I would also recommend exploring different areas of engineering to see which ones align with your interests and strengths. Engineering is a broad field with many different specialties, so it's important to find the right fit for you. And as you mentioned, continuing to practice and improve your math skills through resources like Khan Academy can only benefit you in your pursuit of a degree in engineering. Good luck on your journey!

What are your thoughts on what it takes to be an Engineer?

As a scientist, I believe that being an engineer requires a combination of technical knowledge, problem-solving skills, and creativity. Engineers must have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and other sciences to understand the principles behind their work. They also need to be able to think critically and analytically to come up with innovative solutions to complex problems.

What education and training is necessary to become an Engineer?

To become an engineer, one typically needs a Bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field. Some engineers may also pursue a Master's or Doctoral degree for further specialization. Additionally, engineers often undergo on-the-job training to gain practical skills and experience in their chosen field.

What skills are important for success as an Engineer?

Aside from technical knowledge, engineers also need strong communication skills, both written and verbal, to effectively convey their ideas and collaborate with team members. They should also possess critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and the ability to adapt to changing circumstances.

What are the different types of Engineers?

There are many different types of engineers, including mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, and computer engineers, among others. Each type of engineer specializes in a specific area and may work in various industries such as construction, aerospace, or healthcare.

What are some common misconceptions about engineers?

One common misconception about engineers is that they are all good at math and science. While a strong understanding of these subjects is important, engineers also need to have a variety of other skills, such as communication and problem-solving. Another misconception is that all engineers work in a laboratory or wear hard hats, when in reality, they can work in a variety of settings, including offices, construction sites, and research facilities.