What background fits promising areas of mathematical physics

In summary, the conversation revolved around a graduate math student seeking suggestions for topics in mathematical physics to pursue in their PhD program after completing their masters. They mentioned their interest in higher abstract algebra and were open to exploring various areas of physics, such as computational physics, theoretical physics, and condensed matter physics. Some specific topics mentioned include computational methods like density functional theory and molecular dynamics, as well as algebraic combinatorics and its connections to quantum groups.
T. Wentling
I'm a graduate mathematics student and I did my undergrad in applied math. I also took the normal 10 hrs of physics foundations and then a semester of modern physics (basic quantum intro, special relativity, orbit states etc.). I was thinking about pursuing study in areas that would be closely related to mathematical physics and was looking for suggestions of topics that would line up well, particularly in higher abstract algebra topics. I'm not sure which areas are most closely related on the physics side, whether HEP or what, but am still interested in physics even though my proper course of study headed in a different direction. I am planning to go into a PhD program after finishing my masters next year.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics is a broad area, from subatomic to cosmological scales.

A burgeoning area is computational physics, and one can find broad applications in both theoretical, experimental and applied physics.

Advanced algebra, partial differential equations, numerical analysis and multivariable statistics are just some of the areas of mathematics employed in physics.

Here is an example of some topics in contemporary mathematical physics.

http://www.worldscientific.com/worldscibooks/10.1142/5303

Another set of topics in theoretical physics
http://www.physics.rutgers.edu/~gmoore/Physics695/Admin_07.pdfOf course, one could look into topics in condensed matter physics in which folks employ density functional theory (DFT), or phase-field theory and molecular dynamics, among various tools.

For example - http://www.msm.cam.ac.uk/phase-trans/mphil/MP6-15.pdf

https://www.uam.es/personal_pdi/ciencias/jcuevas/Talks/JC-Cuevas-DFT.pdf

Lie algebras and lie groups have applications in particle physics and quantum computing. There are areas of combinatorics that are applicable to loop quantum gravity and statistical mechanics. Algebraic combinatorics has some connections to quantum groups and probably other areas as well.

1. What is mathematical physics?

Mathematical physics is a field of science that combines mathematical concepts with physical laws and theories to understand and describe natural phenomena. It uses mathematical tools and techniques to develop models and equations that can be used to explain and predict physical phenomena.

2. What backgrounds are relevant for mathematical physics?

A strong background in mathematics, particularly in areas such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations, is essential for mathematical physics. Additionally, a good understanding of classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics is necessary to apply mathematical concepts to physical problems.

3. What promising areas of mathematical physics are currently being researched?

Some of the most promising areas of mathematical physics include string theory, quantum gravity, and cosmology. Other areas of research include mathematical modeling of biological systems, condensed matter physics, and fluid dynamics.

4. How can mathematical physics be applied in other fields?

Mathematical physics has practical applications in many fields, such as engineering, computer science, and economics. It can be used to develop models and simulations to solve complex problems, make predictions, and design new technologies.

5. What skills are important for a career in mathematical physics?

In addition to a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills are crucial for a career in mathematical physics. Proficiency in programming languages and computational techniques is also highly beneficial in this field.